How did your teen find a summer job? Any unusual strategies you'd share?

Whimsee

Asked by Whimsee at 5:06 PM on May. 15, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• I heard on the radio this morning, about how it's going to hard for teens to find jobs this summer because the 47 yr old could be compeating for the same job as your 17 yr old.
    My daughter has had a job for most of the school year, hoping she'll get more hours this summer. She's saving up to buy a car.
    Just keep looking and don't give up - it's a tough market...
    Good Luck
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 5:17 PM on May. 15, 2011

• I did a lot of babysitting. And applied to any wear I thought I could get a job.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 6:36 PM on May. 15, 2011

• you can take the teen to the local workforce center. Some have programs to put teens to work for the summer to keep them out of trouble. GL!
    Queen0Hearts

Answer by Queen0Hearts at 7:38 PM on May. 15, 2011

• My 13 year old son mows yards and helps family and friends with yard work. My DD is 11 and she babysits.
    KamiB79

Answer by KamiB79 at 8:07 PM on May. 15, 2011

• My son just went to all the places he could on his bike and applied.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 8:47 PM on May. 15, 2011

• Mine went to the local grocery stores and fast food places and put in applications everywhere the summer in between their 10th and 11th grade years for 3 and the summer before his 12th grade year for the oldest (who turned 17 just 3 days after he started the 12th grade....the summer in between the 10th & 11th grade year he was only 15 and too young to get job). Finding jobs were a little easier for them 3, 7 and 8 years ago. They called every place they put applications in 2 days after they put in their application and then every 2 days after that. It took 2 phone calls each for them to show their persistance and to be hired, 2 at Taco Bell and 2 at a local grocery store.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 8:58 PM on May. 15, 2011

• take them to places you trust and places you would work yourself; ask what the obligations are and if they can ride their bikes to and from; 13, 14, and 15 year olds usually can get jobs from neighbors mowing lawn; picking up their mail, newspaper and such and babysitting
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 8:58 PM on May. 15, 2011

• I took my daughter to all of the business' that were close to the house. That way if she does get a job she is within walking distance.
    loveroflife1968

Answer by loveroflife1968 at 11:33 AM on May. 16, 2011

• Nothing unusual, but doing a lot of networking. Telling people he's looking for work. If he doesn't have a resume, then if he has a good report card, that often times show responsibility.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 12:26 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Apply at Grocery Stores, Fast food places. Those are the typical places that hire teens for the summer.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 12:47 PM on May. 16, 2011