Dog fight or kids running through my yard

We moved into our house this year, we don't have all the extra money to get a fence. There have been loose dogs a big number of times, and the neighborhood kids don't seem to mind running across the yard, even if we are outside with our dog. I never let my dog out without me, because of all of this, he is kept on a yard leash when we are out. So what if a dog comes in and they fight or what if he hurts a kid running though? My MIL works in insurance and says it would be our fault. Do you have any answers or opinions? We will def be getting our fence next year, but until then it stresses me out especially when theres a loose dog and I have to drag my dog and tell me kids to run inside, I shouldn't have to. People should be aware of where thier dogs are, and kids should know better to stay off other peoples property ESPECIALLY if there is a big dog that doesn't want them there.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:13 PM on May. 15, 2011 in Pets

• It would not be your fault if u had your dog on a leash and some random loose dog came over and picked a fight.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 5:16 PM on May. 15, 2011

• I know you posted anon, but would you share where you live? I am just curious because this is SO DIFFERENT than where I live! If there is a loose dog around here, I'll get calls and emails by the dozen because a loose dog is a lost dog and everyone trys to reunite the lost animal with their family.

All I would say to do is put up a lot of landscaping, like shrubs, until you can afford the fence. Again, it'd be easy to dig up lots of plants for free here, but I think you live someplace really "different" so this may not be helpful.
    Whimsee

Answer by Whimsee at 5:20 PM on May. 15, 2011

• I agree with emmyandlisa... It would NOT be your fault if your dog is on a leash and a random dog came into your yard and picked a fight with your dog... However, you would be at fault if your dog (leashed or otherwise) bites a child, even if they're in your yard uninvited. Seems a little unfair, but that's how it is. Next time you catch some kids in your yard, find out who they belong to, and go speak with the parents.
    CeeCee333

Answer by CeeCee333 at 5:21 PM on May. 15, 2011

• you are still liable for any injuries on your property, this is what home insurance covers...

Answer by older at 5:23 PM on May. 15, 2011

• Usually there are local laws about roaming dogs. I'd call animal control and report that you have dogs roaming the neighborhood. I"m a huge dog lover and volunteer in rescue, but roaming dogs are a danger to everyone and need to be reported.
    MegMurry

Answer by MegMurry at 6:04 PM on May. 15, 2011

• Something similiar happened to me. A neighbor's dog kept coming into my yard and ripping apart my flower bed, and tearing into my trash. I talked to the owner who did nothing about it. I called animal control twice. Again, nothing was done. Then her dog came into my yard and ATTACKED my pup! I was fed up at that point. I put her dog in my truck and took it about a mile away and set it out. Agreed, I should'nt have, but I didn't know what to do at this point. She sued ME and won her case even though I had animal control and other neighbors there to testify on my behalf! On an episode of Judge Judy, something like that happened and she blamed the defendants because they didn't have a fence! I think that's pretty messed up. Talk to the dog's owner. If that doesn't work, call animal control and they can place a trap for the animal. Other than that, you're screwed until you get your fence.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 11:52 PM on May. 15, 2011

• Instead of taking him in your yard, take him on walks to do his business until you can afford the fence. That way, you're not liable if something happens because it wasn't on your property. If he is snippy with the kids I would try socializing him a bit more. Yes, they don't belong in your yard, but it's more beneficial to you AND the dog to make sure he is okay with kids. Then you're butt is covered with dog fights and he is unlikely to bite a kid in your yard or on a walk which you would be liable for.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 8:14 PM on May. 16, 2011

• what are your areas leash laws...I know my neighborhood requires all animals to be on leash if they are off their property.....you can always put up a beware of dog sign,no tresspassing and that should cover your butt for attacks....the kids would be forwarned and you can always talk to the parents . I had a problem with some kids running through my property a couple of years ago...the boys got snotty about it but I talked with thier snotty mother(big surprise right) and explained my legal rights being a homeowner(they rent ) and that the next time authoritys would be called....no more problem...
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 4:32 PM on May. 24, 2011