Formula.

So, we have decided to formula feed our baby. I was just looking at different ones, searching around and I saw the pre-mixed formula. I know that's usually what they give you at the hospital, but has anyone used this at home and liked it, or did you just prefer to mix your own?

oliviasmomma09

Asked by oliviasmomma09 at 10:17 AM on Dec. 6, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• hey, the premade is nice but it's not practical. Also don't worry about warming the bottles up. I never did with Scarlet. Izaak however prefered them warm because he was mainly breast feed. Also they have found a chemical in some formula that has been making kids sick in china...I will pm you a link. Also you should get yourself on Wic if you aren't already cause formula is FREAKIN expensive. I would take care of it now before she comes.
    BethKratwell

Answer by BethKratwell at 11:11 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• I used the pre mixed at first because I thought it would be easier but you have to keep it cold and warm it up in the microwave. But its actually easier to uses powder and leave your water at room temp.
    robinalbright

Answer by robinalbright at 10:21 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• i mixed my own because it was easier when you were out somewhere just to put it in the water and shake it
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 10:22 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• robinalbright, that leads me to another question, lol. do you use tap water, bottled water, or get that nursery water? I hear people say not to use tap.
    oliviasmomma09

Answer by oliviasmomma09 at 10:26 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• we use the powder formula, leave at room temp makes it easier for the middle of the night wake ups!!, as for the water, we use the filtered water off the tap or bottled for when we are in town or at someones house.
    Tap is ah up to you, some people boil it due to chemicals used in water, or if you are on well water. i say play it safe, use filtered or bottled.
    franklynnsmom

Answer by franklynnsmom at 10:32 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• Yeah I have no clue how well our tap water is. i don't drink it so i doubt i'd use it for Livvy, haha.
    oliviasmomma09

Answer by oliviasmomma09 at 10:33 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• I used nursery water until she got her first tooth(6m) but now I use tap water (with a filter on it)
    robinalbright

Answer by robinalbright at 10:50 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• I used enfamil when I switched from breastfeeding. i went to the website and got coupons from them. You sometimes can get free samples too and congratulations on the new one!
    Tayandstevenmom

Answer by Tayandstevenmom at 11:25 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• I also checked with my Pediatrician about the generic "target" brand compared with Enfamil. He sais they are the same, so it is fine to use generic if you don't qualify for WIC but would prefer not to go broke over formula.
    mom2alan

Answer by mom2alan at 3:19 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• We use regular bottled drinking water and the formula powder. I learned from my mum it is easiest to mix up a pitcher of formula and fill the bottles. With the new born, mixed like 2 cups of water with formula and filled bottles. Have to keep them in the fridge then, but then you have your 24 hour supply and just have to warm up a bottle when the baby is hungry....not mess around with pouring, mixing, shaking....which adds too much air bubbles to the mix.....all you have to do is grab the bottle and warm it up. We had a bottle warmer, not good to heat in microwave. For many other reasons, not just because of over heating it....just healthier to heat it in a bottle warmer. Or we just warm it up right in a pan on the stove now and stir it with our finger. Takes seconds rather than minutes, which helps when the baby is screaming!!!
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 11:01 PM on Dec. 7, 2008