My six year old will probably need to be admitted to the hospital should I stay nearby or with my other children at home?

My son who is six years old will most likely need to be admitted to a psychiatric inpatient hospitalization soon. I have two other children who are nine and twelve. I think I should go stay nearby my son while he is in the hospital (the hospitals where he may go are atleast an hour away maybe two and with the price of gas I would not be able to afford to go back and forth everyday). My hubby thinks I should be home with the other children and him. I don't want my son to feel abandoned. If any of my other children were in the hospital for any reason I would do the same thing. My little boy needs me while he is there. He will be so scared. I don't want him to feel abandoned as well. What would others do in this situation? Am I wrong for wanting to go be nearby him?

jlemaycox

Asked by jlemaycox at 10:26 AM on Dec. 6, 2008 in General Parenting

• I would suggest talking with the hospital regarding their procedures. Frequently you as a parent are only allowed certain visits per week and at limited amounts of time. When my daughter was in the hospital they allowed only 2 hours per day not to exceed a certain amount per week. The reason for this is for them to get the child stable and see the child with out extra stimulations and stressors. As hard as it is and it will be. You may waste money staying nearby as they may not let you visit often.
    Trust me I know it is hard but you have to think of your son. There was nothing harder for me then putting her in inpatient and watching them restrain her and hearing her scream from the padded room as they tried to calm her down.
    Please email me directly at wvfreckleangel@aol.com or im me if you have yahoo...at wvmariahmom@yahoo.com and best of luck to you
    wvmariahmom

Answer by wvmariahmom at 11:27 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• I would stay with him as much as I could. He is only 6 and he will be all by himself. I would first make sure that my other kids were OK. But I would stay with my little boy.
    Amber1109

Answer by Amber1109 at 10:29 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• same with me i wouldnt leave his sight
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 10:35 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• definitely at the hospital sounds like the hubby just doesnt' want the responsibilities he will have to take on. be with your son he is going to be scared.
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 11:15 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• Provided your other children will be cared for, I would stay with the him near the hospital. You say your husband will be with the other children, then I would be inclined to stay. My daughter was hospitalized about an hour from here, I stayed there, but we had family help take care of my son and my husband went back and forth. We never questioned that I would just stay there.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 11:16 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• I would definitely stay with my child. I can't believe your husband doesn't think the same way...
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 11:29 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• I would stay home with the other children. He should have to do that himself if he has be admited there he has problems and maybe your his problem stay with the other kids
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• Anon...the child is SIX for gods sake....
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:04 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• Yes, please...don't totally leave him there all by himself. In various medical training, I've seen little kids left in hospital rooms, and unless you are really really good at distracting them, if their parents aren't there, they cry and cry and cry. Especially being a pysch. issue, you do not want to add another issue on top of whatever else is already going on. I would definately talk to the Dr. who will be taking care of him, and see what his/her input is on the situation. I'm sorry you have to make this decision, I know that it's a super hard one.
    kicknscreamn222

Answer by kicknscreamn222 at 12:15 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• Anonymous, you are making a judgement on a situation you know nothing about. Being admitted to a psychiatric hospital is not necessarially a result of some bad behavior choice. Mental illness is no more a person's fault than lukemia. Don't punish the child because he got sick.

Can you get a friend or family member to help your husband with the other kids?
    mom2alan

Answer by mom2alan at 12:38 PM on Dec. 6, 2008