MS/Multiple Sclerosis....experiences with it.Trying to get my brother in law through it

My brother in law was diagnosed with it and he has his good days and his bad. So far everything thing I know I am just experiencing as things go along. We live with the in laws so we help with his brother by trying to keep his spirits up,helping him up and down the stairs. It has made our relationship*brother in law and me* a lil bit closer then before. Guess you can be a lil more laid back to the person who helps you put on your pants on.

Anyways how do you get through the bad days when he just wants to lay in the bed or when the depression sets in ?

What are ways we can keep his spirits alive?

How long is the recovery period to get back to normal?

How come it's so sudden?

sierra_617

Asked by sierra_617 at 5:39 PM on May. 15, 2011 in Relationships

• What do u mean "back to normal"? There is no cure. My aunt died.
    Anonymous

• meaning he wants to go back to walking on his own without our help
    sierra_617

Comment by sierra_617 (original poster) at 5:48 PM on May. 15, 2011

• Gotcha. Well for my aunt, it never got that she could walk without help again. She eventually needed a wheelchair and one night she choked and died because her husband laid her down for bed and laid her flat, which u should never do. Sorry to hear..
    Anonymous

• I would find a support group, they would be in the know and offer you the needed support to be there for him.
    Kudos to you for helping him out.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 6:10 PM on May. 15, 2011

• Hi there, I have Multiple Sclerosis and was diagnosed when I was just 18 years old. I am 38 now and I have a really good neurologist. It is hard but the symptoms can be managed! Your support is so important! The disease does NOT cause death so he can learn to get along and just manage the symptoms!!! :O) Tell him to avoid HEAT, there are some really good support groups out there, there is a magazine for those with MS called "The Motivator" -he should get it! :o) He'll have his ups and downs but I've had it for 20 years and I still have good times!!
    isismoon3

Answer by isismoon3 at 10:39 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Funny you should post this, my General and I had a discussion last week in which he admitted to me the two disease he fears diagnosing the most are Multiple Sclerosis and Pancreatic Cancer. (I have MS) He says it makes him feel useless because there is nothing an individual has or has done to get these illnesses and the doctor cannot tell the patient what to expect - everyone is different. Fortunately, death is not a side effect of MS.

A support group is a fantastic idea - I'm not a fan of face-to-face groups because they are hard to leave if you don't feel like the group is what you need. BUT there is a vast online support group at www.DailyStrength.org; you can join sub-groups too - like the positive MS support group.

Your support is also priceless!
    Archlinds

Answer by Archlinds at 3:09 PM on Aug. 3, 2011