Do you spank your kids? Why or Why not?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:48 PM on May. 15, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I never did, I do not believe it works, they stop whatever they are doing out of fear not understanding the why behind it.

Answer by older at 5:49 PM on May. 15, 2011

• No, she is 14 and 5 foot 8 inches. She would probably kick my ass!
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 5:49 PM on May. 15, 2011

• lol @ emmyandlisa!!!!
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 5:50 PM on May. 15, 2011

• i never have, my dd and her classmate have discussed this and apparently , I'm the only parent in her class that does not spank.
    I just never understood the concept of hitting your child to get them to behave.
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 5:50 PM on May. 15, 2011

• i never spanked my dd but i am not totally against or for it. i am on the fence with this one. only because i started to just smack her hand and then now she hits my hand when she thinks i did something wrong. so i think its sending the wrong message. its hard to disclpline and i try to redirect and explain why we do not do something ect. but with a 2yr old its tough. but if i really thought about it every parent makes that choice for themselves. and if circumstances arrive that i need to do it i would.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 5:51 PM on May. 15, 2011

• My parents believed in spankings, hand, belt, switches and I didn't and don't respect them now! I raised 2 sons, both in their 20's now and I never spanked them. Talking to them one on one works better and both have told me the talks I had with them was enough to keep them from doing anything wrong. They didn't like seeing me upset & hurt. LOL, I Thank God everyday for the words of wisdom he gave to me and the strength to break the cycle of abuse.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 6:00 PM on May. 15, 2011

• If it is needed then yes I do....and for those that want to go off on me for it...i spank my child...i do not beat him....there is a HUGE difference.
    Anonymous

• I never have, but if there was a time when my child was doing something that could be dangerous to her and she could get really hurt I might consider it. I am not talking about beating her but just enough to scare her from doing it again.

lmv1970

Answer by lmv1970 at 6:35 PM on May. 15, 2011

• I have had to spank my child three times in his 5 year life. Hes incredibly well behaved.
    ILoveAsherAthan

Answer by ILoveAsherAthan at 6:39 PM on May. 15, 2011

• I do not believe in spanking. I have 8 kids and have spanked my oldest only because i was so young when I had her and lived with my mom and that is what she did to me. I have learned that there are other methods out there that do not require physical violance.
    full_house

Answer by full_house at 6:39 PM on May. 15, 2011