My question is for the people that don't get married because their parents went through a messy divorce... won't it be the same if you break up?? it will be a messy break up?? but you won't have marriage laws to fall back on to equally split up property and stuff. i'm not being mean.. this is a serious question. Also, how does Common Law work?? I've only heard of it once and i don't really know exactly how it works.

But good luckeveryone.. And don't get married just because the world wants you too!!

krazyash023

Asked by krazyash023 at 10:29 AM on Dec. 6, 2008 in Relationships

• Having already been married and divorced....I learned about this stuff the hard way. I later got involved and moved in with a man, and lived as if we were married, you know, shared things, etc. BUT...what we made sure we did was have legal documents in place. For instance, it was HIS house I moved into. I put alot of money into remodeling, etc. So when he sells, I WILL get my money back (he has alot of equity in it). We also bought a summer home together. There is a separate document stating what would happen if we broke up and one wanted it sold.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 10:34 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• CONT - - So if you're not married, you can still have various legal documents outlining the what-ifs. It's difficult to think of doing this, when you're planning on being together forever, but let's face it. Be realistic on what goes on in the world today. Marriage is a legal safe-guard, but if you're not willing to get married, you still have options to take care of yourself in the event of a break up.
    EireLass

• My husband and I are common law married. Only 14 states recognize common law marriage and they all have different stipulations. In Colorado, you have to cohabit, present yourselves as being married, agree to be married and provide a reputation of being married. We have the lease together in both names, bank accounts in both names, we have lived together for 5 years, and we call each other husband and wife. The state recognizes us as married, so as far as federally we are married. Now if we would move to a state that didn't recognize common law marriage we would no longer be married in legal terms, period. In order for us to separate in the state of Colorado, we would have to get a legal separation.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 11:10 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• It is typically a much longer and more difficult process to dissolve a marriage than it is to dissolve a romantic relationship or a cohabitation. Emotional aspects aside, it can take more than a year to settle a divorce. That's a long time to wait for closure when all you want to do is walk away.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 11:22 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• common law does not mean anything in CA.
    blackcat66

Answer by blackcat66 at 1:26 PM on Dec. 6, 2008