Forged?

When I was looking up laws and sins according to the Old and New Testaments in the Christian Bible, I found an interesting article that appeared on CNN.com yesterday.

The article is about a renowned Bible scholar, Bart D. Ehrman, who has written a book entitled Forged, which explores the New Testament writings, of which the author claims, at least half were forged.

Here is the article to which I am referring.  I'm sure there are more written about the author, his book, and critiques of it, but I'll leave that to you to research.

Would it matter to you if these books were forged?  If they were forged because of political motives, or forged any other reason, would it make a difference?  What does it say about the Bible being the inerrant word of God if these books were, in fact, forged?

jsbenkert

Asked by jsbenkert at 6:25 PM on May. 15, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Anyone will do anything to make a buck. That's what I think.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 6:27 PM on May. 15, 2011

• The best answer is learn hebrew and greek yourself....

and yes emmy.. Satan will do anything to discredit His word!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 6:29 PM on May. 15, 2011

• Its been considered for many years. Many of us can see that given the time frame and so forth, the writers of the NT sections with the exception of Paul I believe, have been handed down by word of mouth and later copied from one source.
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 6:35 PM on May. 15, 2011

• Bart D. Ehrman is Satan? Or is it the forgers of thos books who are? Or is it me for posing the question?

Who is Satan in this scenario?

jsbenkert

Comment by jsbenkert (original poster) at 6:35 PM on May. 15, 2011

• It's a fact. Do some research on the bible and New Testament. Some of the books accredited to certain authors were either illiterate or the books were written after they had already died. The way the bible was put together was not "holy" and a lot of the books reviewed were forgeries. It shouldn't be surprising that some of the actual books weren't written by who we think they were written by.

Personally I'm agnostic, however if you believe I don't see why this should change your opinion. The bible is not a book written by your God but by man and therefore it will have mistakes and errors. If you believe in the intent of what you're reading I don't see why it matters if the original author is unknown.
    miss_lisa

Answer by miss_lisa at 6:37 PM on May. 15, 2011

• I think she meant that satan will use people like that author to try and discredit the bible.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 6:40 PM on May. 15, 2011

• op, these ladies that live by the Bible will not believe it was forged no matter how much proof you show them, they will blame the devil, unbelievers and anyone else but never say that it was forged and therefore not true.

Answer by older at 6:53 PM on May. 15, 2011

• To me it makes no difference. I think the Bible should be studied in context of cultural and historical influences going on at the time so this would include reasons for writing it in the first place.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:07 PM on May. 15, 2011

• Interpreted, edited, forged, makes no difference to me, it was written by men, who used their imagination like any fiction writer.
    Since it has been rewritten and interpreted so many times, it really has no credibility, especially that it is not based on any legit discoveries, trials and errors, but by what people imagine that this is what their "God says". Things and messages may have been, most likely, included to serve certain social and political goals
    This is just my humble opinion. I understand that everyone may have a totally different view and I respect it.
    BeaMoore

Answer by BeaMoore at 7:16 PM on May. 15, 2011

• That is like saying they couldn't write the testimonies and letters because they didn't have computers or ball point pens.

You should really read the Bible. You have time.

Paul was a highly educated man, literate, trained, well read. He wrote most of the New Testament. At the end of his letter to the Romans we see a greeting from a man named Tertius (Romans 16:22) He was the scribe that wrote down the dictation given by Paul. He says, "I Tertius, who wrote this epistle, salute you in the Lord." Using a scribe was a common practice back then, there were plenty of educated believers in the church at the time. And they were able to help if needed.

In Galatians Paul says, ""Do you notice what large letter I have written to you in my own hand?" He writes the salutation in Philippians in His own hand, and also in Philemon. Most scholars believe that Paul had a problem with his eyesight. He was not blind, but cont.

beelive

Answer by beelive at 7:19 PM on May. 15, 2011