Do you agree with Robert Gates?

Defense Secretary Robert Gates has told 60 Minutes that President Obama's decision to launch a raid against Osama Bin Laden's compound with ground troops was "one of the most courageous" decisions he has ever seen a president make. Gates adds ""Frankly, my heart was in my mouth... There was a lot of uncertainty about whether he was there. This was a very risky operation. So, I was very concerned. So was the President... I worked for a lot of these guys and this is one of the most courageous calls -- decisions -- that I think I've ever seen a president make." Gates cites the uncertainty of the intelligence and the potential consequences if the mission failed as reinforcing his view of Obama's courage in making the call. The full interview will be shown on tonight's 60 Minutes . You can watch a clip below http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/15/robert-gates-obama-bin-laden-dead_n_862207.html

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 6:53 PM on May. 15, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I think most of the "ladies" in this section would rather be shot in the head then admit Obama did something right, let alone courageous. They are to the point where they think only with their hate and not a rational mind.
    Anonymous

• I do not believe courage is the word for Obama's decision. He was absolutely forced in to it because too many people knew BinLaden was in that house and for far too long...over seven months, at least,. since the spooks had developed the intelligence to an operational point. Giving voluminous credit to Obama (as the liberal media is attempting to do) for this successful raid is like crediting Nixon for the moon landing (I heard this comparison on talk radio). As I said on an earlier post, Bush sat the table, Obama took his seat, the CIA provided the food and the JSOC the entertainment. Obama approvals are back to the level prior to the operation which indicates the public perception of Obama's role "as he spikes the Obama ball" is properly fading..
    annabarred

Answer by annabarred at 9:10 PM on May. 15, 2011

• I agree that if he says it's one of the most courageous that HE even seen, then it probably is.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 7:03 PM on May. 15, 2011

• It was a courageous decision, but he really didn't have a choice. He was between "what if I fail like Carter's hostage rescue attempt" and "what if I do nothing and it's leaked that I did nothing".

Of the 2, the re-election killer would have been inaction.

And you know someone would have leaked it, and so did he.
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 9:36 PM on May. 15, 2011

• Wow Janet...how can a Canadian know more than my husband that has been there? Oh yeah...she can't. How are things in Canada today by the way?

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:41 AM on May. 16, 2011

• Yes, it takes a lot of courage to watch it all on the big screen setting in the white house.

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 9:27 PM on May. 15, 2011

• I was at a military social last night and OBL was the topic on conversation. One of the ponderings was what was said that actually "talked" BO into doing it. Frankly I am a little tired of patting Obama on the back because he did the right thing. How about if he takes those balls and goes after some others with the same vigor?
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 9:45 PM on May. 15, 2011

• Not really seeing it unless they were afraid they would start world war 3 or something for sneaking in and doing it wihout telling Pakistan.
    I suppose that could have been an issue. Looks like not though since Pakistan needs our dollars so badly.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:46 PM on May. 15, 2011

• "one of the most courageous"

Receiving intel that bin Laden has been positively ID'd, and responding to the request by the EXPERTS on how they wish to proceed took courage from the Commander in Chief? 

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:10 AM on May. 16, 2011

• Watching it on 60 minutes right now.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 7:01 PM on May. 15, 2011