What things did your mother or father do that will or wont do with your children?

Well, my mother would punish me and wouldnt talk to me about it (so I wont do that) she was a single mother with 4 girls Yes 4 girls lol feel bad for my mom (so I'll make sure I have 2 and I got married to my baby's father because I knew it would be hard to do it alone) My mother when she was in a good mood she would bake and cook with us and have family night (I loved those days so I'll make sure Ill do that with my children)

My father was never really around (so ill make sure im always around my husband and I)

WBU?

KColeman90

Asked by KColeman90 at 7:33 PM on May. 15, 2011 in General Parenting

• my mother was pretty stubborn and unrelenting with her opinion/'ways'...i'm much more open to change (for sure, i am!) and difference of opinion. she was (and still to some extent) a ''my way or the highway'' parent. i'm not so much. i mean, ok..i can be a control-freak at times, and i do have OCD..but i'm not AS BAD as my mum. lol.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 7:37 PM on May. 15, 2011

• My mother use to tell us she wished she had 3 abortions (there were 3 of us)...I won't ever say that to my kids...
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 7:38 PM on May. 15, 2011

• she used to beat the hell out of me, won't be doing that.
    She taught me loyalty, a quality which has been instilled in me, I want to pass that to my son
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 7:38 PM on May. 15, 2011

• My parents were overprotective and I was a real homebody---stayed safe at home with them until I went to college. They didn't give me a whole lot of confidence.THAT was in the 1950's. Ozzie and Harriet days.
    When I had my kids, I tried not to protect them too much and I encouraged them to do their best, encouraged their self confidence. They all have college educations and got narried, have families now,..
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 7:56 PM on May. 15, 2011

• she baked with me and we talked like friends, but she worked shifts and was not home often and was tired when she was. I am gonna try to make time for memory making activities everyday even though i work shifts too. I had to work outside on the farm with dad and hated it at the time, but it was the best thing he could have done for me so i will be sending my kids to the farm to work too. My grandma raised us really since mom wasn't around much - she was the last of the old-fashioned farm wives/ true great ladies and i want to be that... someday
    nurse_maya

Answer by nurse_maya at 7:57 PM on May. 15, 2011

• my parents did a great job teaching me the importance of family & we had awesome family nights so i'll most definitely do that!

my dad ignored us a lot. we'd ask him a question & he'd pretend he didnt hear us, then get angry when we asked w/ attitude. i dont want my kids to feel like they arent important to me.

my mom instilled anxious & OCD tendencies in my brother & me. i try my hardest to keep my crazies to myself & not let my DD see when im having an off day.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 7:59 PM on May. 15, 2011

• She let others walk all over her. She is such a mousy person. She allowed others to tell her how to raise us, even when she knew they were wrong. She didn't take time to find herself. My mother never became a "person" until we were all grown and out of the house.
    My mother married because she was pregnant with me, he walked out x-mas day when I was 5. I refused to marry my DDs father because he couldn't promise that marriage to him was all or nothing.
    I met my husband when DD was 6mo and we made a vow before the marriage, no divorce. No letting it get so bad that we don't know each other either. Death before divorce is my motto and the death will be his!!!
    Audrice1985

Answer by Audrice1985 at 9:11 PM on May. 15, 2011

• They both had favorites. My mom preferred my brother and my dad preferred me. Didn't work out too well for me when he left for another woman. I only have 1 child right now, but if I have more I'll love them all the same.
    Raccoon

Answer by Raccoon at 9:44 PM on May. 15, 2011

• my dad worked too much so i will not be like that (i have no say in what SO works) and my mom was just a straight B, tellin me she wishes i was never born, so i def wont ever say that
    my mom never cooked for us only my dad did sometimes and we never sat down as a family, so i will def do this for my family and i cant wait
    thanks to my grama who taught me how to cook and bake
    and my parents made me work for my car...i always thought it a good idea
    all my stuck up rich peers had their parents buy them cars, but i like the fact that i worked hard for mine and know how to take care of it so i will def carry on that tradition :)
    Liz4Life

Answer by Liz4Life at 9:58 PM on May. 15, 2011

• My mother was pretty perfect. I will try to play silly with my kids, give them my expectations and treat them like people. I will give them some freedom, if they can handle it, and try to have them independent and happy when they leave, enjoying all the time till then and being happy whatever happens. And to foster a sense of wonder and joy in life, a sense of hard work followed by relaxation, a lack of panic at all that the news throws at us, and curiosity and fun. That is a tall order!

My father did some amazing things to support us. I hope never to get the stressful mood in the house or snap at my husband, though I know it's a lot, LOT harder than it seemed at the time.

I would like it if we had friends to visit, unlike my parents, but there isn't that much else to change.

I had it really good
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 10:15 PM on May. 15, 2011