"you little monkey"?????

My daughter is half Black and Half white... She loves to climb on my husband.. We were at dinner with my mom, and my daughter was doing what she always does climbs on him. My husband said ("you little monkey").. Like he always does... My mom (who's 63) got this disgusted look on her face. I mean really??? It's 20011 is this some sort of social mistake to call a her a monkey? I guess she would like for me to toss out all her Monkey shirts also.. Just interested on you ladies thoughts on the subject... Thanks!! Just wanted to add.. My mom loves my husband and they get along great... Also My husband is white and I'm black.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:03 PM on May. 15, 2011 in Relationships

• I would think his reference was regarding her climbing and nothing more. I think your mom over reacted

Answer by admckenzie at 8:05 PM on May. 15, 2011

• your mom over reacted!
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 8:07 PM on May. 15, 2011

• your mom over-reacted probably do to some underlying issue with your dh, i'm guessing.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:08 PM on May. 15, 2011

• I think it's just a goofy nickname for a climbing child. My grandmother still uses the N word like it's a normal "non discriminant" name from her time so that weirds me out (my SMIL is black)...but monkey...nah, nothing wrong with it.
    Imortlmommy

Answer by Imortlmommy at 8:09 PM on May. 15, 2011

• Mom overreacted for sure!
    SonyaNaomi

Answer by SonyaNaomi at 8:12 PM on May. 15, 2011

• Well this is an interesting topic and I know is offensive too many people of color, and I know many people are offended by it being used as the word monkey can have have racial connotations "porch money" and many people with racist ideas call black people monkeys as a derogatoryterm. I also understand that people use the term monkey for children alot regardless of the childs race and they don't see any racial tie to it and do it completely innocently.

However I would not say your Mother over reacted, I would say she was offended by it, she cant help her feelings on the matter, hearing it probably just didn't sit well with her. It often doesn't sit well with me, and we dont do monkeys on clothes either.

Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 8:37 PM on May. 15, 2011

• Your mom came from a very different generation (segregation, prejudice, etc.) and the word "monkey" was used as an offensive term for blacks (and other people of color). It probably caught her off guard, she just plain didn't like it, or it brought to surface some hurtful memories. I don't think she over-reacted - I do think you all might need to be more sensitive to each other though.
    pocmom

Answer by pocmom at 9:12 PM on May. 15, 2011

• I don't think it's a big deal..my son is half black too and we're a 'monkey family' lol. I'm monkey mami, my fiance is monkey daddy and our son is monkey baby. He also says he's a chocolate baby, daddy is a chocolate daddy and I'm 'coffee with milk' lmao!
    Raccoon

Answer by Raccoon at 9:39 PM on May. 15, 2011

• your mom had it harder then we do so tkae it easy on her and understand what she went threw good luck and just remind your mom times have changed
    cnoble927

Answer by cnoble927 at 9:39 PM on May. 15, 2011

• When she was young it was used to discriminate against black people, so she was probably just surprised. Did she say anything or have an attitude? Or was it just a brief look? My cousin married a black man and has two kids with him - her daughter is a climber too (she's 3) and both her and her husband call her a monkey all the time and she has monkey shirts and stuffed animals. They also playfully comment about her wild curls - you can tell she's half black by her skin tone which I think is beautiful and if my cousin doesn't do her daughter's hair she has a head full of curls that just go in every direction. I'd just move on and forget about it, especially if your mom loves your husband and has a good relationship with him.
    anon1986East

Answer by anon1986East at 10:41 PM on May. 15, 2011