How do interact with the homeless?

Do you give them money when you walk past them on the street? Do you buy them food? Work in a soup kitchen? Donate clothes? How do you feel about them? What are your perceptions? IDK what category to put this one in?

SMITxsM2

Asked by SMITxsM2 at 8:06 PM on May. 15, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• i haven't physically interacted with the homeless in a while, but we do donate to shelters on a regular basis. (clothing, food, money, etc)
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:07 PM on May. 15, 2011

• we work in two different soup kitchens, i think it is very valuable to expose our children to those less fortunate than ourselves
    parajumper3

Answer by parajumper3 at 8:09 PM on May. 15, 2011

• If we see someone that is obviously in need, then hubby and I will give them a little money. If we don't have any cash, we will run into the nearest grocery store/gas station/fast food place, whatever and pick up something so they can have a meal.
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 8:12 PM on May. 15, 2011

• My daughter and I go once a month with a bag of home made sandwiches, and cans of drinks, we go to our most populated areas and hand them out, we donate clothing in the winter by gathering winter clothes from friends and families, and also volunteer in their kitchens to serve. I personally always give cash to the people collecting for the homeless, which here in Miami, are everywhere!

Answer by older at 8:12 PM on May. 15, 2011

• one time this guy was on the side of the road n he asked my for money for food but i didnt have any money on me all i had was a debit card, but i went n bought him some food n a drink n i bought it back to him.
    manda28

Answer by manda28 at 8:15 PM on May. 15, 2011

• I donate clothes and shoes to shelters. Diapers sometimes too. Stateside, I would be polite, but would keep a bit of distance. In Okinawa, Japan...we'd (kids and I) would deliver a sandwich or two to them. If you give them money they'd try to get more out of you (if you gave them just enough, they'd get up from their spot, go into a store, come out with alcohol) so sandwiches were a smarter idea so the kids didn't see "drunks." Living here opened my eyes a bit more to the homeless...if we went back home..I don't know if I'll be open to just walk up to one. I do help how I can when I can. I did have a friend that would exchange food for photo opportunities with the homeless here in Okinawa.
    Imortlmommy

Answer by Imortlmommy at 8:17 PM on May. 15, 2011

• we donate to womens shelter not good will or salvation cause they re sell, i prefr to give them to those less fortuante. if i have spare chnage i may give it depends on how they rub me i guess, some who just ook boozed up and expect it i keep walking ones who just look lik e the are in a bad way i will donate small change, if i ever saw ahomeless person with kids id buy food, i dont give rides eitht
    juansmommy

Answer by juansmommy at 8:21 PM on May. 15, 2011

• I didn't know where to find a soup kitchen even when I was homeless, so now that I don't live that way, I have even less of a clue. But I'm happy to help them any way I can. I always donate our clothes, toys and whatever else we think can be reused by someone else. We donate to the Food Bank - which I know isn't for homeless, but it does help the shelters in the city. To be honest though, I haven't seen a homeless person in about 15 years. I don't spend much time in the city anymore...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:17 PM on May. 15, 2011

• I try not to always give money, since I have learned the addicts will get the money to go buy crack :(
    Me & Dh will go buy food for them though. When DD is older Id love to go volunteer at soup kitchens.
    I am always very kind to them. Id never think of being rude or mean. I actually wish I could get to know them all & know their story. IDK why.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:29 PM on May. 15, 2011

• Lol me too. I really wanna know I want to help them.
    SMITxsM2

Comment by SMITxsM2 (original poster) at 10:33 PM on May. 15, 2011