Mommy is a... Liar, Liar, Pants on fire!

So tonight I served edemame with dinner, and my younger two kids would not touch it. I made up an outrageous lie about how Naruto (manga character) loves it and eats it everyday. My 12 and 4 year old's totally bought it and scarfed it down. The 3 year old liked to squish it out of the pod, but still wouldn't eat it.

Have you ever made up a story to get your kids to try to eat something? And did they fall for it?

I will say that I have served it before and they wouldn't touch it at all. So I thought a story might help them like it.

SleepingBeautee

Asked by SleepingBeautee at 8:27 PM on May. 15, 2011 in General Parenting

• OH yeah... You have no idea how may veggies Dora eats... IN fact green beans are still Dora Beans and peas are Princess Peas... She'll fall for anything! lol.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:30 PM on May. 15, 2011

• My MIL beat me to it. We were preparing the finger foods for x-mas and the kids were running around. She let them pick at the sliced meats and cheese but told them they could not touch the veggies, those were for the grown ups. They got so mad, I caught them sneaking broccoli and cauliflower and running like hell! My kids love veggies!!!
    Audrice1985

Answer by Audrice1985 at 9:01 PM on May. 15, 2011

• I would make up fresh vegetable platters, broccoli, radishes, cucumbers etc. and tell the kids it was for grown ups buuut if they were good they could have one and I wouldn't tell :) Worked like a charm! So anytime I made something that made them go eeewwww, I would tell them it was for big people, not to worry' lol
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 8:54 PM on May. 15, 2011

• wat the heck is edemame? lol
    SweetPoison

Answer by SweetPoison at 8:29 PM on May. 15, 2011

• i think thats a good idea hey it got them to eat thats all that really matters..
    manda28

Answer by manda28 at 8:30 PM on May. 15, 2011

• My 22-yr-old daughter is the worst eater ever. When she was little I made up every kind of story but I never got her to eat anything she didn't want to eat. Scares worked with her haha.. Like.. You have to eat that or the Hairy Scary Monster will come feed you nest time!
    mysevenkids

Answer by mysevenkids at 8:31 PM on May. 15, 2011

• I got my kids to eat broccoli by saying they were trees and if they eat them they will grow big and strong like them. Hasn't failed since.
    SMITxsM2

Answer by SMITxsM2 at 8:39 PM on May. 15, 2011

• damn! i wish i could fool MY kids that easily! NOTHING gets by them it seems
    happymom8262

Answer by happymom8262 at 8:44 PM on May. 15, 2011

• Yep... I started telling my now 7 year old that broccoli and cauliflower were trees and snowtrees when he was very young. He liked to "chop" them down with his teeth. He still calls it that when my 3 year old is around :) and they both love getting a forest on their plate!
    MommaRoxanne

Answer by MommaRoxanne at 8:58 PM on May. 15, 2011

• Ha, I don't feel comfortable making up stories to get my kids to do stuff, but hey, if it gets the veges into your little ones, good for you!
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 8:59 PM on May. 15, 2011