advice/ideas re explaining 'what it means to be a lawyer" to a preschool class

must give prerschool class a presentation which explains what being a lawyer entails

NYCmom39

Asked by NYCmom39 at 8:46 PM on May. 15, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• First explain that when grown ups/people have a problem or get in trouble they have to fo to a judge who decides who is right and who is wrong. It is a lawyers job, like you, to help the person who needs help with a problem of who is in trouble make sure the judge hears the whole story. To make sure nothing is left out or forgotten. You could even do a Goldilocks vs. the 3 bears mock trial in a very simplistic manner. If I was helping the 3 bears I would say ______. SO the judge would understand it wasn't their fault Goldilocks got in their house and that they need the judge to please make sure Goldilocks won't ever do it again. If you are talking 3's that may be to much but I bet 4's would follow.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:51 PM on May. 15, 2011

• Just explain your the "mom" for grownups who get in trouble with "Dad". I love the idea of a mock trial. Look for the wolfs verison of the three little pigs book, It would highlight what you do.
    Audrice1985

Answer by Audrice1985 at 8:57 PM on May. 15, 2011

• Kids understand there are rules, right? I'd go from there. Explain lawyers do two things:
    1) when an adult is confused about what is okay to do by the rules, they can turn to a lawyer for help
    2) when someone accuses someone else of breaking the rules, they each get lawyers to help them figure out what to do about it. And if they can't figure it out themselves, the judge figures it out for them.

I'd use examples they can relate to. Maybe talk to the teacher ahead of time for ideas of which classroom rules or situations would be good examples to bring up.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 10:08 PM on May. 15, 2011

• Wow, that is kind of a tough one. Definitely a big difference between what you can explain to a to a three year old and a four year old. Sometimes when grown ups have a hard time sharing a lawyer acts like their teacher, or perhaps have kids come up with a game and as the lawyer you right down the rules and make sure the game is played the right way.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 10:19 AM on May. 16, 2011