If you are breastfeeding, when did you introduce cow's milk?

My daughter is 13 months and i have not done it yet and was going to wait until at least 18 months. anyone else doing this?

nurse_maya

Asked by nurse_maya at 8:51 PM on May. 15, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My oldest was 12 months old. I just put a little cow's milk in a sippy cup and let her have a little for a few days in a row, then when she was completely weaned we switched over. I think it was easier on her than me! I was sad my baby didn't need to nurse anymore!
    cdecker83

Answer by cdecker83 at 9:00 PM on May. 15, 2011

• i breast fed until my son was 8 - 9 months old. He did take formula until 12 - 13 months. I had to go back to work and quit breast feeding. I don't see a problem with your only wanting to breast feed until 18 months, couldn't you do both - maybe just the breast morning and night, give juice and maybe milk durning the day.
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 9:00 PM on May. 15, 2011

• My first did not get it until he weaned at about 18 months. My second unfortunately started stealing her brother's sippy cup around 12 months old and got sips of milk that way, but she didn't start getting her own milk until around 18 months and went on to nurse until 35 months.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 9:47 PM on May. 15, 2011

• I introduced it around 18 months and continued to breastfeed. I would offer the cows milk with meals and stuff 1 or 2 times a day.
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 11:32 PM on May. 15, 2011

• miasmommy - was it a difficult transition at 18 months? I did it at 13 months with my son and it went well, but i'm worried that delaying it until 18 might make it more challenging
    nurse_maya

Comment by nurse_maya (original poster) at 11:41 PM on May. 15, 2011

• 10 mos. My DS will be 1 tomorrow, and gets one sippy of cow's milk per day. I will start giving more, for I want to start weaning from BF. He's really addicted to my boob. lol
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 2:25 PM on May. 16, 2011