Terrified of the potty

Hey mommas! I am going to start potty training my 2.5 yr old son in a few weeks. I have put my son on the big potty a few times and he is TERRIFIED of it. He freaks out crying and arching his back. I even got one of those little seats to go on the potty with his fav character on it. Still scared. He will sit on his little potty, and has even gone potty on it. However, as we all know there are no little pottys out in public. Was your child scared of the big potty? Any suggestions on how to ease his fears?

crazy4u49033

Asked by crazy4u49033 at 8:52 PM on May. 15, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• he probably thinks he going to get sucked down the drain. my son wasn't afraid of the potty but if you pulled the plug in the tub while he was still in the water he would scream and jump out as fast as he could. maybe you can hold his hand and tell him "mommy won't let go, your not going to fall i promise." maybe this will put some fear at ease.

northcarolinama

Answer by northcarolinama at 9:07 PM on May. 15, 2011

• I know this sounds so gross and when my mom told me I was like "yeah right!!!!!!" but I finally gave in. *bitter face* here goes, I let mine play in the toilet with stuff that was safe to flush. I thew a cheerio in, and all excited I said "do you wanna see it go bye-bye? I let him play and flush, and just 'get to know' the toilet and the fear was over. I did clean it a ton before I did this. I know it is gross. But I dont have problems with him playing in the toilet or other toilets. It worked. I dunno. Mamas know best LOL-good luck and let me know if it helps!
    KatsyKay

Answer by KatsyKay at 11:48 PM on May. 15, 2011

• I'd let it go. He's not ready. I'd just let him come in and see what 'big people' do in there. Eventually he'll want to try on his own.
    wanderingmuse

Answer by wanderingmuse at 9:30 PM on May. 15, 2011

• Omg I am having the same prob with my daughter she will not sit on the little potty I bought her. She actually pees on the floor right next to her potty she refuses to go in the potty.
    Chow77

Answer by Chow77 at 9:50 PM on May. 15, 2011