Should i move or stay

okay, my parents home is in need of work, they no longer have home insurance because of the conditions, my father is one of those, "i might, use that someday" so, a lot of stuff needs to be tossed. The city has already fined them $1000.00 because it needs to be kept up.

i currently live in a modular home (what I could afford, after my divorce) in a 2700 sq foot, four bedroom, two bath. Lot's of room for us and 1.5 acors of land. I have three kids and myself. kids ages 10, 12 and 17. currently we live about 7 miles out of town.

My thought was to try to sell my home, I currently pay $725 morgage payments.
If I can see my home, I'd move in with my parents, try to get a home improvement loan and save their home. ONLY, issue it's a three bedroom / one bath. The house is paid for so anything done would only add in it's value.

We were there this weekend, and it wouldn't take too much to add another three bedrooms, maybe. When in later I'd make one of those rooms into an office and the other into a larger family room.

Its just my brother and I, he'll be in town on the 20th of this month - of course, if I do all this work, I'd want the house after our parents passing. So, I'd have to run this all by him. I called him a few days ago, telling him that while he was here for a visit to bring work clothes, we had work to do at our parents home. I'm hoping to take few vacation days to help, as well.

I don't know, if I could handle living with my parents. My son is friends with the my parents neighthood kids and where we live now, there are few kids his age. Although, he enjoys the big back yard, pool and tree house at our current home.

Do you think, this would be a good move?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:53 PM on May. 15, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I tryied googled it and tryied to find you some answeres:

Can you be evicted if your house isn't clean?
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20091123221230AABN3QC

you could also talk to a lawyer, lot of them see you for free on the initial meeting and can give you some advise.

LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 1:25 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I'm sorry I think it would be a bad idea for you to move and move into your parents house. There is to much work to be done at your parents house. You have put a lot into this it sounds like have you even talked to your parents yet or you kids. They would have to chang their lives too and be unconfortable until you get three more rooms made. You need to make a list and one being pros and other cons to this before making the big move. Let me know how it works out.
    butterflies78

Answer by butterflies78 at 9:10 PM on May. 15, 2011

• big question is here could you handle living with you parents? And would it be good for your kids? Is there enought space for all of you? Would it not be a better idea to help you parents fix up the place while you still live in your house. I personally would do it that way I would not wanna move back in.
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 8:58 PM on May. 15, 2011

• im a single mom, not getting child support, I cannot afford to help them pay for improvement on thier home and keep mine.
    My bother now travels to work, because his home was also in forcloser.
    My mom helps me out a lot with my children, picks them up from school in the afternoons, so they are there everyday.
    Your right, that is the BIG question, after living alone for 8 years, I don't know, if I could handle having someone watch over me and my kids. ALSO, I just had the thought that, they (my parents) might have to move our if any major improvement are made.
    Okay, then - How do I get them to understand that they need to do something with thier home?
    I'm assuming after a time, the city could condem the house? Then what would happen? They can't just take thier propery and home can they?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:07 PM on May. 15, 2011

• If you truly were to consider it have you talked to youkids about it yet? cause they old enough. Like I said before I would not do it. Usually and especially wheny you a gown up its hard to get along with you parents when you have to live with them underneath the same roof. But I dont know how bandly the house looks and what all needs to fixed, with that in mind is that really something yiu wanna move into with your kids? Other that that of its is really bad (they got already fined) they can give them a date by when it needs to be taken care of or else I think the state takes over the house cause its a hazard, at least thats what I think.
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 9:16 PM on May. 15, 2011

• Then worse case, the house is condemed and they end up moving in with me, at my home.
    If the state can take over the house, what about the money, they can't just put them out on the street.
    Would the state pay them a fair value for the house or something?
    I don't understand, how or if the state can do that.
    We live in Tx, if that helps.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:50 PM on May. 15, 2011

• Have you considered asking your parents to stay at your home while you clean theirs up-maybe ask them to stay a week with your children while you straighten up the house? Even if you can't "fix" stuff, you could atleast clean it up. Then, little by little, as your parents have the money, they can fix some stuff up (and you can of course help).

I don't THINK that the state would have to pay them, as they've given them warnings. It may be that they leave it condemned until they get stuff fixed. Not sure, though. The would have to give them an eviction notice I'd assume, so they'd have time to get their things out.
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 1:50 AM on May. 16, 2011

• So, the state could just day take anyone's home, if they so wanted. They could imposes any laws. Without giving them a dime in return. then sell the home or property for a profit?
    the house is paid for & the taxes are paid.
    What a great country we live in. Just put old people out on the street. Because they're unable to live up to the neighborhood standards.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:28 AM on May. 16, 2011

• How do the kids feel about it ? How do your parents feel about it ? Can your brother be trusted not to try and take the house once your parents pass?
    Wish2Be

Answer by Wish2Be at 7:52 AM on May. 16, 2011

• Why don't you clean out their house instead of moving anyone out, get them help.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on May. 16, 2011