Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

How does .....

Public asstiance work for housing. My BIL needs a pleace to stay. He already gets food stamps. He just started a job and makes 13.50 an hour for an 40 hour work week. He is saying that after his child support payments are taken he only has 500.00 a month? So he wants to stay with my family for a couple months. I really do not want him here. Things are not good right now between my husband and I. But if I say no it could cause a rif between the brothers. My husband does not have a problem with it but I do. I do not trust him he is still has back pay on his child support. Right now he is staying with a girlfriend or ex-girlfriend not sure what the status he won't say but he does have to be out soon. I am trying to do research on this but not coming up with some solid information about the housing asstiance.


Asked by Anonymous at 9:29 PM on May. 15, 2011 in Relationships

This question is closed.
Answers (5)
  • I don't think he'll qualify, and if he does it's usually a looong process.


    Answer by skittles1108 at 9:36 PM on May. 15, 2011

  • Most states have very long waiting lists, but he might be able to get emergency assistance for security deposit on a place.

    Answer by aeneva at 9:56 PM on May. 15, 2011

  • with that income i'm not sure he'll qualify either, especially if he's paying child support- because then that would be like the state paying child support for him. that also does not sound right at all that child support would be over half of his income, or so much so that he only has $500. i'm not sure where you live, but i know i live in a huge city- so our county courthouse has a help center where you can get resources and stuff. i would try something like that. housing is usually a long, paper-filled process-- i haven't done it but have friends who have. btw, totally understand you not wanting him at your house and the conflict it would create. best of luck with this all!

    Answer by lexi8622 at 11:31 PM on May. 15, 2011

  • Can't he just get a room until he saves up some more money for an apartment?

    Answer by amessageofhope at 12:58 AM on May. 16, 2011

  • According to what he told my husband he needs time to get some money together. He does not have enough for room. Which I think is not the truth.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:15 AM on May. 16, 2011