Where is the money saved in cloth diapering?

I am very curious. Where do the savings come from? When I got pregnant, the increase in water/power bill each month would have been the same as buying disposables. because cloth diapers have to be laundered in a timely manner. And there was no diaper service where I lived. I just don't get it. Why are cloth better than disposables?

Audrice1985

Asked by Audrice1985 at 9:36 PM on May. 15, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Yes there is a bigger laundry bill water/power/detergent, but it is nothing close to the cost of buying disposables, and they are way better for the environment, even given the water/power/detergent used to wash them. They are also better for Baby's skin.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 9:40 PM on May. 15, 2011

• They don't sit in landfills for hundreds of years

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 9:41 PM on May. 15, 2011

• I handwash the diapers first, after soaking the dirty ones, and then just throw them all in when there's a whole load to machine wash. And my machine is a eco-smart one. I use environmentally friendly detergents as well.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 9:42 PM on May. 15, 2011

• I think it's more of a question of which you prefer:

convenience/environment friendly
    no washing/better for your baby's bottom

Stuff like that...not really the money saved. I think in the end it's about equal.
    ImPhoenix

Answer by ImPhoenix at 9:42 PM on May. 15, 2011

• depends on how often you wash and your washer. I've heard it doesn't cost more. i did a lot of research when my twins were infants, and found that it was only going to cost a couple bucks more per month, like $5 to wash resuable diapers. the starter packs are very expensive but by the time you potty train they will have paid for themselves.
    plus kids who are in cloth diapers tend to potty train earlier because disposible diapers wisk again the moisture so they feel dry, where as with cloth they feel they are wet.
    plus if you plan on having more kids and you keep all the stuff, youre saving a ton of money on diapers in the long run.
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 9:48 PM on May. 15, 2011

• I never thought cost was the issue so much as being 'green' and it's really better for the babies rear. I used disposables but I can see the major pluses in cloth.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:53 PM on May. 15, 2011

• First you need to look at it long term. There are a lot of cloth diaper systems that work from newborn to potty training so you only need to buy one size. Second you don't HAVE to buy the most expensive cloth diapers out there. Good old fashioned prefolds work just fine. Third cloth diapered children tend to potty train earlier and easier so you save some money there. Fourth yes my bills went up, but it was nowhere near the 40-50 a month I would have been spending on disposable diapers and the cost of the iapers themselves were only about $5 a months when spread out for ONE child. Fifth if you are planning more children you can spread the cost of the diapers over multiple children as you will not need to buy more cloth just wash them. For us it saved a ton of money in the long run since I used prefolds and used them on 2 children (actually 4 by the time my SIL used them too)
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 9:54 PM on May. 15, 2011

• trust me they are cheaper
    i would try putting ten bucks in an envelope every time you go to target for example for the money you would have spent on diapers.
    its all about the envelope system. only then will you start to notice how much you are actually saving. kudos, i think all moms should do what your doin!
    Liz4Life

Answer by Liz4Life at 9:54 PM on May. 15, 2011

• i just do 2 extra loads of laundry a week so our water bill only went up by a few dollars and i hang dry my diapers outside! so $3 a month vs $35 a month on a pack of diapers? ill take the $3! and we plan on having more kids so i know im going to save a ton with the next one! my cloth diapers have already paid for themselves about 7 times now! i think its totally worth it!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 9:55 PM on May. 15, 2011

• I agree with the other moms on here that said cloth diapers cost are no where near what disposibles cost. I used cloth diapers and I saved a bundle and my baby had something nice and comfortable against their skin. Store bought diapers aren't very soft you know.
    Momabear455

Answer by Momabear455 at 10:18 PM on May. 15, 2011