Baby Cereal

Is it safe to put a little baby cereal into my daughters bottle? Just to thicken it up a bit and give her some more substance. She is almost 3 months old now.

kristina.de

Asked by kristina.de at 9:54 PM on May. 15, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I guess I'll be the first to say that I've given both of my kids purees at 4 months. They both had signs of being ready. DS2 could take 10 oz of formula at a time at 4 months. I told their doctors when I did it and they didn't have a problem with it. For me, 3 months is a little early, but I'm not going to say that they absolutely should not have solids until a certain age. Some babies are ready before others. Just because the other ladies haven't given their kids solids until 6 months doesn't mean that your child isn't ready for it before that. However, I don't think that it's a good idea to put it in the bottle. If and when you do give your baby solids, maybe try it on a spoon? Basically all of this to say, discuss with your baby's doctor, but, ultimately, it's your child. You have to do what feels right for you and your baby. None of us are perfect parents and do everything according to the "rules."
    kasey22

Answer by kasey22 at 12:04 AM on May. 16, 2011

• NO NO NO and may I repeat NO!! It can cause sooo many issues with the worts being choking. It is also linked to obesity when given before 6 months and can cause digestion issues.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 10:01 PM on May. 15, 2011

• wic are morons, that dont update their info.. its 6 months
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:28 PM on May. 15, 2011

• NO! Don't. Formula and breast milk are okay for her to swallow, but food needs to mix with saliva first and should be given on a spoon. Also cereal can cause constipation and you don't want her screaming with tummy pains and gas. No no no. Don't. Ever. When she's about 8 months old (different kids are ready for solids at different ages - she'll let you know by reaching for your food) you can give some solid food but soft ripe bananas and pawpay and sloppy cooked sweet potato are the best first foods, not cereal.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 10:07 PM on May. 15, 2011

• That stuff is not nutritious and WIC are not experts in baby nutrition. We know what you are talking about and never in a bottle is what even WIC will tell you. Do some research on Baby Led solids and wholesome baby food.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:12 PM on May. 15, 2011

• WIC workers ARE NOT trained nutritionist they simply reguritate what they are told to say and they never gave me cereal until my children were 6 months old but then mine were breastfed so that may have made a difference. Not everyone thinks you need to give the cereal and the WHO actually recommends against it. All nutrition authorities I know of say not to give anything until AT LEAST 6 months old and the babe is showing signs of readiness. My kids got nothing until 9-10 months other then breastmilk.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 10:56 PM on May. 15, 2011

• NOT NO BUT HELL NO!

BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD for digestion and a MAJOR choking hazard.

Babies really should not have ANY SOLIDS AT ALL until 6 months. The current recommendations are outdated and need to be fixed.

You could give your baby MAJOR digestion issues by doing this. BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD IDEA!!!
    Anonymous

• Everything the first poster said and more. Until she is 6 months, she needs nothing but milk. If she cannot eat it off a spoon or pick it up and chew it, she should not be eating.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:04 PM on May. 15, 2011

• Breastmilk and formula is perfectly full of nutrients and fats for a baby. They son't NEED anything beside that until sometime between 6 months and after a year.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:06 PM on May. 15, 2011

• Here is another look at why we say wait.:
    Baby's intestines need to mature. The intestines are the body's filtering system, screening out potentially harmful substances and letting in healthy nutrients. In the early months, this filtering system is immature. Between four and seven months a baby's intestinal lining goes through a developmental growth spurt called closure, meaning the intestinal lining becomes more selective about what to let through. To prevent potentially-allergenic foods from entering the bloodstream, the maturing intestines secrete IgA , a protein immunoglobulin that acts like a protective paint, coating the intestines and preventing the passage of harmful allergens. In the early months, infant IgA production is low (although there is lots of IgA in human milk), and it is easier for potentially-allergenic food molecules to enter the baby's system. Once food molecules are in the blood, the immune system may
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:09 AM on May. 16, 2011