Do you give your kids a flu vax?

Okay, I vaxed my kids on a delayed schedule (not on purpose, I just forget things REALLY easily) I agree with vaxing them against the horrors of yesterday, but there are two that I do not agree with, at all, ever.
Chickenpox, and flu.

I am military so I have to get a flu shot, and suffer being sick for a week afterwards. I do not get it for my kids. I don't agree with a chickenpox vax because the only mortality cases I ever heard of was in adults. Also my family is prone to shingles which occur when you have a weak strain of CP and your body does not build a strong defense. Shingles is a reoccurring thing and crops up whenever the person is near CP.

So, do you flu shot your LOs? What about chickenpox?

Audrice1985

Asked by Audrice1985 at 10:08 PM on May. 15, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• my kids had the chicken pox.. and my husband is against the flu so we dont give it to them.. they were NEVER sick with the flu !
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 10:09 PM on May. 15, 2011

• I will never take or give my kids the flu vaccine.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 10:10 PM on May. 15, 2011

• Yes, no side effects for husband, me or LO.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:10 PM on May. 15, 2011

• Flu shot, no. Chickenpox, yes.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 10:10 PM on May. 15, 2011

• BTW, my daughter had the chicken pox vaccine and she still got the pox. 1 out of 10 still get them.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 10:11 PM on May. 15, 2011

• But that's what I mean. Why give an ineffective vax?
    Audrice1985

Comment by Audrice1985 (original poster) at 10:12 PM on May. 15, 2011

• I felt the same way about the Chicken pox vax when it first came out. I didn't have my older boys get it as I thought it was unnecessary. I thought "Really, it's a kids' disease, big deal" My SS's got the chicken pox and my younger SS got so it so bad he nearly died from it! I was floored. I hadn't expected that at all. It wasn't supposed to be like that! I did vax my younger ones after that experience.
    I get the flu vax for myself and my children. Luckily, none of us get sick from it.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:12 PM on May. 15, 2011

• No flu shot, I get them because I work in a hospital, but I don't feel they need one, yes they get the chicken pox vaccine, I think its kinda dangerous not to get that one.
    Momabear455

Answer by Momabear455 at 10:14 PM on May. 15, 2011

• The reason I get the flu vax is I had the same attitude as 3happykids. My older boys (my ss's) never got the flu, so why bother? Then my one younger one got it and was sick for 8 days. I decided if I could do anything to avoid that again, I will. Yes, I know he can still get it, but I would feel worse if he got it again and I didn't do anything to prevent it.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:14 PM on May. 15, 2011

• I don't take my kids to get the flue shot. I don't agree with it either. This year they have the H1N1 shot included in most of the flu shots as well, so it's just another reason I'm not doing it.. chicken pox yes, because i barely had any and am at risk of getting them again.. so as an adult it could be potentially deadly to ME. And if the same thing happens to my kids... well it's just safer in the long run for our situation and family.  ALthough I completely understand your reason for not getting it.

(otherwise we vax)

xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:15 PM on May. 15, 2011