VBAC?

I gave birth to my son 5 weeks ago via emergency C-section.

It's too soon to be thinking of another pregnancy now, BUT I can't help but wonder what the risks are to having a Vaginal Birth After this C-section. (I'd love to try!).

I know people have successfully had VBACs, but what are the risks associated with one?

GoodyBrook

Asked by GoodyBrook at 10:13 PM on May. 15, 2011 in Trying to Conceive

• the risk of uterine rupture goes up by like 1.2%. However, successful VBACS are still less risky than repeat c-sections.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:16 PM on May. 15, 2011

• And being induced with pitocin raises the risk of first time mother's having a uterine rupture by 1% so not much diffrence for a VBAC, but a lot of doctors still won't do them. Basically the main risk is uterin rupture due to the scar from the previous c-section. You really need to talk to a doctor about it. You also need to think about how soon you are going to get pregnant again too since that does effect your chances of uterine rupture. The less time it has to heal the slightly higher the chances. Good luck. I have several friends who successfully VBACed and are VERY glad they pushed for it. I don't know anyone who is happy they didn't get a chance to.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 10:24 PM on May. 15, 2011

• So what exactly is a "uterine rupture?" Is it literally where the inside of your uterus explodes through the caesarian scar?
    GoodyBrook

Comment by GoodyBrook (original poster) at 10:27 PM on May. 15, 2011

• Not explodes...LOL opens again. And that is a risk in a first time vaginal birth as well.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:29 PM on May. 15, 2011

• Now is a great time to start thinking about your next birth, esp if you are interested in having a VBAC. The risk to having a VBAC is a uterine rupture which happens about 1% of the time or having another emergency c-section. Emergency c-sections are riskier than scheduled c-sections - not sure how much, not too much but it is something. With the VBAC, if you do have a uterine rupture, the chance of there being a bad outcome is very small. I would encourage you to do your own research - ican-online.org is a great place to start.
    GwenMB

Answer by GwenMB at 10:46 PM on May. 15, 2011

• VBAC are VERY possible and MUCH MUCH safer for most women than a repeat csection.

You only have a 1% chance of uterine rupture while your chance of other MAJOR issues happening is MUCH MUCH higher.

My sister had a very sucessful VBAC after an emergency csection. DO YOUR RESEARCH AND FIND A GOOD DOCTOR OR MIDWIFE!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:33 AM on May. 16, 2011

• why so soon
    momtobe522

Answer by momtobe522 at 2:07 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Momtobe522: I'm not wanting to get pregnant NOW, don't get me wrong. I do want to be informed about the risks associated with VBAC IF we decide on another pregnancy, so I thought I'd start researching now...

OK, uterine rupture possible about 1% of the time. Anonymous mentioned other "MAJOR issues" that could happen. Any idea what these MAJOR things could be?
    GoodyBrook

Comment by GoodyBrook (original poster) at 4:08 PM on May. 16, 2011