So I got told that my children shouldn't see my and DH kiss

We don't make out or anything extreme in front of the kids, but we will cuddle and kiss and hug in front of the kids. I thought it would be good for them to see a loving relationship growing up, but then someone said that it would give them idea that they can do that stuff with people young. So I guess what I am asking is, do you allow your children to see you and your SOs affection or not? Why?

Mom1Stepmom1

Asked by Mom1Stepmom1 at 11:30 AM on Dec. 6, 2008 in General Parenting

• Do you want your kids growing up not knowing how to show affection? Yes they will learn it from you, but that does not mean that they will be going off trying to have sex at 7 years old...whoever told you that is just being ridiculous. Children that grow up in a family where affection is not shown become emotionally withdrawn and find it difficult in their adult lives to open up to someone in a relationship.

Showing a little affection (as stated above - nothing extreme) it perfectly normal and HEALTHY for your kids.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 11:37 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• Absolutely. Nothing sexual, of course. But we most definitely kiss and hug in front of our child. I want my son to grow up knowing that his parents love and adore each other.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 11:32 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• I think it is perfectly normal to show affection to each other in front of the kids. It shows them what a normal healthy loving relationship is.
    notadoormat

Answer by notadoormat at 11:32 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• ditto to the above!
    augustmommy08

Answer by augustmommy08 at 11:32 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• i also think that its perfectly fine, itll teach them that parents should be like that
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 11:34 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• Whaaa? Whatever, whoever told you that is a prude. I think it's important to show your kids what a happy, healthy relationship looks like. Nothing gross like tonguing or ass-grabbing, but holding hands and little kisses here and there is perfectly acceptable to me.

I'm still pregnant with my first baby, so I don't have any advice as to what my boyfriend and I do. But I personally think that you should keep whatever you do in front of your kids to whatever you'd do if your own parents or someone else were in the room. You obviously wouldn't get rowdy in front of adults, so you shouldn't get rowdy in front of kids. But like I said, I see no problem with holding hands and little kisses.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:34 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• That was what I thought too, but it never occurred to me that it may encourage my children to want to do that as well too young. I guess it is all in the parenting though.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 11:35 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• I think that parents should be affectionate in front of thier kids so that they see that their parents love eachother me and my SO argue in front of them which i hate but they also see us being affectionate too!! I always show alot of affection twords my kids and my SO because i didnt grow up with that and I want my kids to!!
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 11:35 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• All children should grow up in a home where appropriate affection is seen and practiced. Otherwise they end up not knowing how to react to affection from others whether it is a hug or a kiss with a GF or BF or spouse. Kids should know that it is OK for mom and dad to show they love each other but until they are adults or married then they can show affection in other positive ways.
    Geminus

Answer by Geminus at 11:52 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• Of course. When I was a kid, I thought parents who never hugged or kissed were a little bit freaky.
    runawaybunny

Answer by runawaybunny at 11:56 AM on Dec. 6, 2008