Nothing better than asking another mom... so ladies...

I am hair stylist. This is my first salon job even thought I have been cutting and coloring for years, friends and family of course. Now today I had a client who brought her 3 yr old and 7 yr old into our salon/store. The 7 yr old had an appointment with me, mom explained that she wanted a regular bob exactly what she had but didnt want to grow out the bangs anymore and would like them cut. I said okay and we proceded to the shampoo bowl. The mom and 3 yr old went shopping around the store and when we got back to my chair, mom of course was no where to be found. Finally after drying the little girls hair, mom returns and I asked about the bangs because I wanted to know exactly where she wanted them to lay, she got snippy with me. To make this already long story short, she threw a tantrum in the front of the store and said that I snubbed her off during consultation and she felt as though I didnt listen to anything that she wanted.... If I was your childs stylist, and you felt that I wasnt listening, would you have walked away and shopped while your child got their hair cut? This looked tremendously bad on me, I ended up giving my two weeks notice due to how my manager handled the situation and how she made me feel. After that, she asked me to resign as of today. So.... WOULD YOU HAVE WALKED AWAY AND LET ME CUT YOUR CHILDS HAIR IF YOU FELT I DIDNT LISTEN????? ( BTW I think she got angry when I double checked about the bangs, that was the first time I had saw anger on her face) She was pleasant upon walking away before I cut her daughters hair...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:24 PM on May. 15, 2011 in Money & Work

• When my son, age 8 gets his hair cut, I always stay with him and explain to whoever is cutting his hair what to do.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 10:27 PM on May. 15, 2011

• OP again, I also feel as though I did listen. However I would rather triple or quadruple ask about some bangs than just cut them off and then had her upset if I had made them too short
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:27 PM on May. 15, 2011

• I believe you did listen. She should have stayed with her daughter to make sure you were doing it the way she liked them to be.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 10:30 PM on May. 15, 2011

• I would be glad you were double checking. She sounds like a crazy person. And your boss sucks. Be glad you got out of there now.

Hope your week gets better.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:30 PM on May. 15, 2011

• I would have never left my child alone AND I would have appreciated the fact that you wanted to be sure my needs were met! Some people are such asses and you lost your job over this! I'm sorry, I would have been pissed too!
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 10:39 PM on May. 15, 2011

• I would never have left my DD's side. You did what you were suppose to do. Sucks that your boss didn't back you up over it. I don't see that you did anything wrong.

I just had DD's hair cut two weeks ago. I hate it! The women didn't get her straight bob straight at all! But she took an hour to do a 15min haircut and I was in a hurry. Needless to say I won't be going back and I didn't leave a tip.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 10:42 PM on May. 15, 2011

• I think that was a tottally rediculous thing to have a heart attack over. You could have just cut them the wrong way....would she have exploded any less?? I don't get people that do this, and all because you asked a customer one simple question, you got fired over it?? WOW!! I'm sorry you had to go through something like that! People need to get over themselves, period!

I took my nephew, who is 9, to get his hair cut a few weeks ago. The girl had no idea what she was doing. It was starting to look like she took his head into a chop shop, so the other girl had to take over and basically give the first girl a lesson on how to cut hair. Yes, it was a little irritating watching this, but there was no reason to get our panties in a wad over it! The 2nd girl fixed it to look good, we paid them, and went about our day!
    shoot4thestars

Answer by shoot4thestars at 10:53 PM on May. 15, 2011

• My kids are 13 and 14 and I stay with them. I would rather be safe than sorry and constantly talk with the stylist about what they want...because they are teens, they are not big into expressing themselves or being clear about it. She should not have left her 7 year old EVER. What the 7 year old was scared, or started flipping out? You should always require that a parent stays with the child for your protection. the world is really weird now, I would be concerned that the child could say something accusing you of something you didn't do. Hate to be that synical, but I would rather be safe than sorry.

You are probably better off not working in that salon, the owner was out of line as well. You will find something great. Look into doing something on your own - either hair or skin. I chose a premium skincare company where I am the boss....you can't fire yourself. Good luck and let me know if I can help.
    marywoz

Answer by marywoz at 11:48 AM on May. 16, 2011

• The owner should have helped you out rather than dump on you. Measure twice, cut once applies even more to hair than wood or fabric. With hair you can't go buy another piece and start over. I'm sure the mom's reaction had something to do with having a hard time keeping her 3 yr old entertained. She was probably hoping that you were done when you hadn't even started. That is where your manager should have stepped in and stuck up for you. But she isn't much of a manager is she? Your only other recourse was to ask the kid.  Some kids know what they want, but no so much a 7.

LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 12:40 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I wouldn't leave my 7 year old by herself, that's for sure. I just got my hair cut recently and there was a woman who kind of did the same thing. She dropped her daughter off and was very particular about certain things and then just said "i'll be back". The stylist did basically what she asked while asking for a little input from the girl. She got done and had to sit and wait for her mother so I talked to her a little. I asked if she liked her hair and she said she loved it and i told her she could probably pull off any hairdo. Shortly after the mom came in and insisted the whole thing be trimmed because it looked "stringy". I caught the girl roll her eyes and let out a sigh. I just gave her a quick wink and thumbs up and she smiled and plopped back in the chair. She was a trooper.
    DJsMommy610

Answer by DJsMommy610 at 2:30 PM on May. 16, 2011