Help!! My son is saying scary stuff!

My five year old son is very stubborn and misbehaved at home and in public places. He has not had to many bad reports from school until the last few weeks. To discipline him I put him in timeouts in his room for five minutes up to an hour depending on what he has done. Just the other day he told me if you don't like me why don't you just kill me. I explained to him that I love him and like him I just don't like his behavior. Then I brought it up again before bedtime and said that it hurt me that he would say Somthing like that and he just said it again. When he says it he has no emotion he isn't acting sad or angry it like he just asked me to tie his shoe or something. I was thinking about taking him to a psychologist what do u think. It's a little beyond normal 5 year old tantrums!

Mominstress

Asked by Mominstress at 10:30 PM on May. 15, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• that is so sad an horrible :( i would take him to see a doc.. good luck.
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 10:33 PM on May. 15, 2011

• I could see where that owuld be distressing. My son has meltdowns from having HFA and often shouts things like He is going to die or he will kill me ect... I am not sure how I would handle this in your situation. I would at least mention it to the ped to see what they think.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:33 PM on May. 15, 2011

• What's HFA ? but mommie
    Mominstress

Comment by Mominstress (original poster) at 10:36 PM on May. 15, 2011

• High functioning Autism. If he looses control he will just go off. It is a struggle for him to communicate the need for help or that he is frustrated. We are working on it though!! It's gotten better.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:40 PM on May. 15, 2011

• it's very normal. yes they say stuff like that because you give them a reation my 5 year old SD said she doesn't like me today because she's having an I miss my mommy day and yes it hurts but I know she know's that I love her and she's normally so sweet and loving that I'm not worried about it tomorrow is another day and she'll be back to loving me again GL

traren

Answer by traren at 10:40 PM on May. 15, 2011

• Talk to your son's pediatrician. He/she will guide you to a therapist if your son needs one. Wish you the best.

hugs

Ashoonik

Answer by Ashoonik at 10:49 PM on May. 15, 2011

• hi,my grandson is 8 years old and has been very verbal since i can remember .I am raising him he has told me things like he was going to put me through a wall.well my grandson has been diagnosed with adhd and ocd he does outburst i dont think he really means it .i think it his condition he is in therapy now.i am not saying your son has it but it sounds like the outbursts my grandson has.
    mrsstanton

Answer by mrsstanton at 10:55 PM on May. 15, 2011

• I think counseling is the way to go.
    SonyaNaomi

Answer by SonyaNaomi at 11:00 PM on May. 15, 2011

• I think a talk with his ped is in order. it may well be simply his attempt to bet attention from you or it could be something far worse. If it is just an attempt to get attention maybe try spending some more one on one time with him. My son went through a phase where he got pretty mean to all of us and our doc suggested a little more one on one time and simply sitting with him. For a few weeks he and I would sit in my room with me hugging him if he liked and just sat there. It took a little while, but he eventually started talking to me and he melted down several times in tears for no apparent reason. Worked wonders and now once a week I do it with both kids for half an hour. I think he was just getting so much pent up frustration with stuff happening at school (through our nightly sessions I discovered he was being bullied) and he is such a pushover at school he would come home and take it out on us instead.
    Anonymous

• Why would you do timeouts in his room where there are toys? That makes on sense. As far as his comments, sounds like he needs a professional.
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 11:21 PM on May. 15, 2011