How can I get my husband to quit smoking?

bethiepaige

Asked by bethiepaige at 1:00 AM on Jul. 11, 2008 in Health

• I'm so in this boat!!! I've learned... you cannot make him quit. As cheesy as it sounds... it's true, he won't quit until HE is ready. You can help him to be ready. Remind him what smoking does to him and to you. I even found a bunch of pictures of blackened lungs vs. healthy lungs and taped him to the mirror in the bathroom and to his cig pack. I also found research that explains what it really does to your body and statistics of that. Also, you could try to figure out how much he spends on cigs a week and post it somewhere, Good Luck!
    MrsP777

Answer by MrsP777 at 8:39 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• oh my gosh! i feel the same way! he keeps telling me he's going to quit (over a year now) and still hasn't. hasn't even cut back. he smoked while i was prego and smokes around our 3 month old. ugh! i could use the help too!!!
    monstersmommy23

Answer by monstersmommy23 at 1:02 AM on Jul. 11, 2008

• I am a smoker and my husband has tried. Crap I have tried to quit smoking.To tell you the truth it has to be his choice. It is mental and physical and you have to prepare to stop.It took a lot out of me to cut down. The only reason I did was b/c I was pregnant. Thank goodness I havn't went back to how I use to smoke and that is b/c I refuse to smoke around my daughter. Plus, I like the fact my house no longer smell like an ashtray.
    Don't try to force him. It only makes a smoker want to smoke more.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:08 AM on Jul. 11, 2008

• I just recently quit smoking and my husband has bugged me to quit for months and months. It is something you have to do for yourself. Until he is ready, he wont... At least that is what the situation was for me. Make some rules though. No smoking around the children or in the family car. No cig butts in the yard. Make sure that it isnt okay for the children to be subjected to it... I never smoked in my car or around my kids. It was not okay by me to subject my children to my bad habits.
    taracv

Answer by taracv at 12:54 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• i just got the new chantex, it is suposed to work wonderful. everone i know who tried it quit, within 2 weeks, we'll see
    sleepymomx4

Answer by sleepymomx4 at 1:17 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• Good luck, if I were you I would try anything to quit. My mothers husband just suffered for 8 months with late stage esophogial cancer. My mom had to watch him slowly die from this disease. he had a feeding tube in his stomach. He was the love of her life, and now she is so depressed and lonely. He smoked for 50 years. He had a quadruple bypass, and a pacemaker...
    Think of your family..do you want them to have to hook you up to a feeding machine. Think of your kids, do you want to be around for them when they have kids??
    I am sorry, I don't mean for this to be a lecture, but i have seen first hand what it can do to your body, it is not worth it.
    Good luck, you can do it!!
    Anonymous