Second baby shower?

my daughter is 7 months and our new baby (insert extra happy dance) is due november 2nd. i know a lot of moms will say you only have one baby shower and i don't want to ask people to bring presents but would love to do something since my first baby shower got taken over by my MIL. (i wanted a family BBQ with just family and she decided to invite all her friends and there kids and then cook food i wasn't able to eat then got angry when DH and I said we felt the baby shower was less about our DD and more about her showing off which is all she did the entire day was "oooooh look what my husband got me yesterday" and whenever anyone brought up the baby and asked our plans she would storm off) sorry for that vent but just wanted to give a little background before the question

would i be wrong to want to have a get together just to welcome the new baby have some cake talk about family and just have a good time?

krissii

Asked by krissii at 11:01 PM on May. 15, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Not wrong at all, I believe in having a baby shower for each baby because they should all be celebrated. Gifts can be optional.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 11:04 PM on May. 15, 2011

• I had a shower with both my children. My friends wanted to host one. They asked me when it was going to be. It was what they wanted. I appreciated for sure but it wasn't my idea... I see no issue. I think each baby deserves their own welcome
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:05 PM on May. 15, 2011

• I have been given a baby shower with every baby. I would never throw myself one but I think what you are talking about is not really a shower so it would be okay. I do not think anyone would be offended by it.

TONS of friends and family came to both of mine.

You could always have a Baby Sprinkle after the baby is born. Have a cookout or something and invite loved ones to meet the baby.
    Anonymous

• We had welcome baby parties after birth for both our children along with a baby shower before the birth of the first. I don't think it is at all wrong to welcome the new baby, but I would make sure I mentioned no gifts expected. Most will bring something small anyways.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 11:08 PM on May. 15, 2011

• I think that would be great! ... I had a baby shower with my first 2 kids.. but didnt have one with my 3rd .. (for unknown reasons)
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 11:09 PM on May. 15, 2011

• Not only it's not wrong, I think it's a wonderful idea! Why should the first baby only be welcomed and fussed over? The second one should be welcomed and get some new gifts and outfits. Every child is special and deserves their own celebration. Have one and enjoy it.

woohoo

Ashoonik

Answer by Ashoonik at 11:25 PM on May. 15, 2011

• Thanks mama's the scary lady (MIL) told me i was being tacky and selfish so i was rethinking it but couldn't let myself ignore this babies arrival we will definitely be throwing a shower/ welcome party for this LO one right after we find out the sex of the baby which will be one month from today cross our fingers that this baby doesn't hide lol :D
    krissii

Comment by krissii (original poster) at 11:40 PM on May. 15, 2011

• Your MIL sounds like SHE'S being tacky and selfish. Celebrate this new baby, mama!
    AmourSpork

Answer by AmourSpork at 6:19 AM on May. 16, 2011

• Congratulations!!!
    My best friend gave me a baby shower for my 2nd baby. I see no reason why you shouldn't have one! Good luck!
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 1:06 PM on May. 16, 2011

• No I don't see anything wrong with that , you should want to celebrate a birth its truly a blessing, trust me I'll be celebrating this one
    toybar02

Answer by toybar02 at 1:38 PM on May. 16, 2011