I have a 14 year old boy who is being bullied at school. Do I have any legal rights regarding the bullying he is being tormented by?

The so called "Popular Group". They have a sick and twisted game where they will tell him that a certain girl really likes him and talk him into asking her out (which he did). They then play the age old game 'rock, paper, scissors'. The "Loser" then goes and askes him out. When he accepts, they all get together and scream loser in his face. There are several girls and boys in on this as they close in on him in a circle. They continue the harassment until he finally breaks down. They then have even more ammo against him. This has been going on for several weeks but I just found out about it today. He couldn't hold it in any longer and broke down. He was actually sobbing, he is so devistated.He related the pain that he is going through when we lost his brother 3 years ago. NOBODY should ever be put in this situation. He has been acting sick for over 2 weeks not wanting to go to school. Now I know why. Please help me help him.

loveroflife1968

Asked by loveroflife1968 at 11:05 PM on May. 15, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• wow that is horrible. fuck those kids, if it was my son I would talk to their parents asap. But then who knows maybe that will just give them more ammo against him.
    soo i guess if it was my kid id put him in self defense classes and work on his self confidence.
    self confidence so he can KNOW that they are just insecure and bored with their lives that the best thing they can do is pick on him and self defense classes so he can beat the shit out of them if he needs to.
    LovinMyJay4

Answer by LovinMyJay4 at 11:11 PM on May. 15, 2011

• Sometimes bullying can cross over into a criminal realm if that behavior is assault or physical harrassment, That's when a child or parent can go to police and can file a report.

charmd18

Answer by charmd18 at 11:12 PM on May. 15, 2011

• You need to talk to the school principal ASAP! Bullying is a very serious issue and you want to put a stop to it. I'm sure your school has an anti-bullying policy and once the principal knows something like this is going on, he/she will do everything to put a stop to it. The parents of the children bullying your son will be contacted by the principal. Please help your son ASAP. I have endured this in Jr. High and know of a few kids who did too. It's a terrible thing for a child to go through. I wish you all the best. Please keep us posted.hugs

Ashoonik

Answer by Ashoonik at 11:18 PM on May. 15, 2011

• Thank you all so much for such a fast response! I am going to the school first thing in the morning to talk to the principal. I just don't understand why anyone gets such pleasure in someone else's pain. I'm also going to check out the local karate classes and start him in one. At least he will be able to defend himself if it starts to get physical.
    loveroflife1968

Comment by loveroflife1968 (original poster) at 11:26 PM on May. 15, 2011

• I would make an appiontment to see the an administrator TODAY. Do not take no for an answer. If they won't give you an appointment tell them you will be at the school and sit in the office until you are seen. They will probably want to meet with your son and talk to him. Then they will probably call t he suspected bullies in one by one and talk to him . Does he have anyone that has witnessed this bullying that can vouch for him . My son was being bullied in 7th grade and the school didn't believe him. They said those are such good kids they would never do that. Then the kids would turn the blame on him. Do not try to talk to the parents or approach the kids yourself. It will backfire on you. Also, if there is a dad or some other male figure in his life see if he can come with you to the school. For some reason schools take things more seriously when dad shows up. I know it's wrong . Good luck please update!
    jcm62497

Answer by jcm62497 at 7:38 AM on May. 16, 2011

• i went to the school today and talked to the principal in person. She is going to talk to my son with the guidance counselor present. She also said she will e-mail all of his teachers so they are aware of the problem. The principal is also going to talk with each child who is involved, then go to each parent. I really appreciate the advice from everyone. Thank you. Also jcm62497, I am so sorry your son had to go through being bullied. I hope you were able to stop it before it went too far. God Bless.
    loveroflife1968

Comment by loveroflife1968 (original poster) at 11:27 AM on May. 16, 2011

• you did the rigt thing! i'm glad..it sounds like the principal will try to get to the bottom of this. i hope the bullying stops. it's so sad that kids have to bully others...
    Kainalu55

Answer by Kainalu55 at 7:10 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Is it possible to change schools before the next school year?
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 11:42 PM on May. 18, 2011

• if your state does not have a bullying hotline, I suggest you take this matter to the school officials, principal, guidance counselor, or someone you trust like a school resource officer. If it is not corrected please contact your local law enforcement officials. I work for a state LE agency and we actually answer the safe school hotline for our state. I hear these things everyday. . . .more and more often. These kids need to learn a lesson. On another note a great movie for kids to watch is call "to save a life" I'd suggest letting any and all kids that associate with your child, youth group or whatever to watch this movie. It has a great message.
    daerca574

Answer by daerca574 at 1:02 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Beware that it might get worse since he told. Good luck!
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 1:28 PM on May. 21, 2011