Has anyone dealt with Toxemia?

The baby was taken because of extreme blood pressure 232/119 due to Toxemia. After delivery my daughters blood pressure is still extremely high and she was put on Procardia. The baby is 2 weeks old and I am concerned with her blood pressure still soaring up and down. The doctor says it can take up to 6 weeks before getting back to normal. Has anyone else experienced this?

pam12958

Asked by pam12958 at 11:39 PM on May. 15, 2011 in Pregnancy

• i developed it at 3 weeks post partum (previous normal blood pressures) and had siezures and a mild stroke due to the high BP and swelling on the brain. typically the most dangerous time for a pre-ecclamptic patient is the first 24-48 hours PP and they need to continue to be treated with mag sulfate to prevent siezures during that time. otherwise close monitoring is all that can be done - and bedrest. My situation is very rare and not likely to occur in your daughter, but the first 6 weeks PP are going to be challenging and it may not get back to normal - some people experience permenant hypertension after such an event. good luck and feel free to message me with other questions - i am also a L&D nurse
    nurse_maya

Answer by nurse_maya at 12:12 AM on May. 16, 2011

• I stayed in recovery for 7 days after delivery because my blood pressure stayed around 180/120--the same as it was when they decided to induce. Baby was not affected.

My blood pressure is still a bit high now, 5 weeks post partum, but it's slowly getting back to normal.
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 2:08 AM on May. 16, 2011

• No I haven't but you and baby are in my prayers BUMP
    toybar02

Answer by toybar02 at 12:15 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I had severe toxemia with my second child they induced me with him at 36 weeks and I had it upto 12 weeks postpartum. With my third child I had it postpartum pretty bad for a week.
    lilmommy10805

Answer by lilmommy10805 at 7:30 PM on May. 16, 2011