Pets

Fleas are bad again this year, any suggestions on how to keep them under control without owing a fortune

Momabear455

Asked by Momabear455 at 11:44 PM on May. 15, 2011 in Pets

• I keep mine on revolution year round. Problem solved, no fleas.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 12:18 AM on May. 16, 2011

• Frontline isn't working that well these days. Advantage or Comfortis do well. My top choice is Comfortis though. It's in a pill form, so no icky spot and it works within a 1/2 hour up to 1 month....You can get it at your vet by the pill or 6 month box...
    tnunley

Answer by tnunley at 12:49 AM on May. 16, 2011

• I have heard bay leaves will kill them in your home.
    mommytoJames512

Answer by mommytoJames512 at 11:45 PM on May. 15, 2011

• Well, I use Frontline but it takes about three months to get the fleas under control. Make sure to vacuum often and, if you can stand it, spray your pets with vinegar after you wash them. The vinegar stinks but the fleas hate the smell. Citrus scented shampoo also drives them away but it's very temporary.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Answer by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 11:48 PM on May. 15, 2011

• Frontline and daily vacuuming.

FYI...........talk to your vet before ever giving your pet GARLIC. It can be very toxic to pets. If given, you should get the go-ahead from your vet before starting any sort of garlic treatment to get the proper "dose" per pound.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 12:43 AM on May. 16, 2011

• I dust my outside pens with a combo of Borax and DE during the flea months, as well as the yard. It works, I think it is a LOT better than putting poison on my dogs or asking them to swallow it (and that IS what ALL flea treatments are), and it is also much cheaper than the poison. Make sure you get food grade DE ~ not the stuff for swimming pools. Both of them desicate the adult and larvae flea which effectively interupts the life cycle ... just like the poisons.

You still have to vacuum well inside, and you have to reapply after any heavy rain and at least once a month. It isn't as convenient as a pill or drops once a month, but I prefer to keep my dogs (and other animals) healthy.

As a plus, this also tends to keep all the other pesty/pesky bugs (spiders, beetles, roaches, ants, etc.) in someone else's yard/dead, and my garden is also bug free except for bees and ladybugs.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 11:00 AM on May. 16, 2011

• Feed them garlic once daily =)
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 11:45 PM on May. 15, 2011

• The pet that is, lol
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 11:46 PM on May. 15, 2011

• Wow I have alot of good suggestions here and I will try them, the pill does work tnunley but it is costly and I have two dogs and two cats
    Momabear455

Comment by Momabear455 (original poster) at 7:48 AM on May. 16, 2011

• Garlic!
    SonyaNaomi

Answer by SonyaNaomi at 11:45 AM on May. 16, 2011