Doggie Ear Infection

My dog has an ear infection AGAIN! She had a very bad infection in both ears a couple of months ago. I took her to the vet and he gave her ear drops and antibiotics. Her ears got better. A couple of weeks later, she got another infection in one ear. I used the drops again and gave her another round of antibiotics. It got better. NOW her ear is getting infected again! I can't afford another vet visit right now. I'd appreciate any advice or home remedies you ladies can give me. Thanks.

popzaroo

Asked by popzaroo at 12:04 AM on May. 16, 2011 in Pets

• There is probably more to this then just the ear. My guess would be allergies. It would either be food, environmental or seasonal.  My Golden Retriever used to get ear infections all the time before I put her on a better food and a suppliment called nupro. Doing this will not help the infection that is already going on though. Ear cleaners will not help the infection either.  Call the vet and see if they will prescribe meds since it is the same issue. They may insist that you come in but you really don't have a choice, I'm sorry.

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 12:15 AM on May. 16, 2011

• It could be a staph infection. One of my Huskies had this problem with her ears. She had an infection, took her in, got medicine, medicated, and she got better. Couple weeks later it was the same thing. Couple weeks after that it was the same thing again. Finally vet tested for this staph infection and it was positive. There's only one or two medicines that can even treat it. I can't remember what the infection was technically called.....if you would like me to call them to find out, just PM me and I'll see what I can do.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 12:37 AM on May. 16, 2011

• Do you bathe your dog often? A lot of times water gets stuck in the ear canal and will cause an infection. If you don't rinse the ears with a drying agent, like alcohol, then the water could cause infection. But only use alcohol if the ears are not infected! Once the infection is cleared a 1/2:1/2 ratio of alcohol and vinager work well to flush the ears, keep them clean and dry. Good Luck!
    tnunley

Answer by tnunley at 12:44 AM on May. 16, 2011

• Pet stores sell ear cleaner. Its basically rubbing alcohol with some other oil agents to sooth the ear too. If your dogs ears don't stand up they are more prone to getting ear infections if not cleaned on a regular basis.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 5:14 AM on May. 16, 2011

• It is important to keep inner ear hair trimmed which can cause infection if it gets too long. Make sure you clean her ears often as well if they're droopy. Swab them out with rubbing alcohol once a week after the infection's gone, careful not to go too deep into the canal, and wipe the outer part of the ear with a baby wipe, moist towelette or damp paper towel.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 8:29 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Thanks ladies! You all have been a big help.
    popzaroo

Comment by popzaroo (original poster) at 8:59 PM on May. 16, 2011