A question for HOME OWNERS

My MIL said that she has to maintain a PPO health insurance after she retires because of owning a house. That if she goes HMO they will put a lien on her 2 houses. I asked her what if she just went without health insurance and paid as she went to clinics and she just about threw me out the door with her dirty look.
Like I would know, I've never owned a house. But she likes to exaggerate things so ppl will pity her.
Anyone ever heard of this?

myownhappiness

Asked by myownhappiness at 12:18 AM on May. 16, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I have NEVER heard of this.... Frankly I don't see how the type of health insurance she has is relevant to her home, or how it could put a lien on her homes.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 12:21 AM on May. 16, 2011

• she's full of crap!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:46 AM on May. 16, 2011

• I don't buy it. We currently have HMO (it's our only choice for insurance) and hubby will be retiring in the next 2 years and we will continue w/HMO (again, it's our only choice); we own our home outright and there will not be any liens placed against it because of the type of insurance we have. Granted, HMOs suck (imo) but it's still insurance so whether she has a PPO or HMO or is moving from one type to another, there will not be a lien placed against her property.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:51 AM on May. 16, 2011

• Hmm...does she have all her insurances (health, house, etc) lumped together through one place? Still wouldn't make sense to me though...and a lein for having the "wrong" insurance? Sounds like either she's full of it, or she's got a super-shady insurance rep who is really screwing her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:21 AM on May. 16, 2011

• I have never heard of this. Maybe it is true where she lives. Are they concerned about her having insurance incase someone gets injured on her property? If so, her homeowner's insurance should take care of that.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 12:23 AM on May. 16, 2011

• Nah she has full coverage Mercury Insurance and Health insurance through her work and is retiring Friday. She said she will have to pay almost a morgtage payment type payment on it since she will be retired instead of the $79 a month she was originally paying. I thought she sounded pardom my french but full of shit and excuses. I told her to switch to HMO so it would be more affordable then she said she didn't want to change dr's then she brought up the lien on her home if she switched
    myownhappiness

Comment by myownhappiness (original poster) at 12:24 AM on May. 16, 2011

• We live in So. CALIFORNIA. They have homeowners too. Oh and the Mercury is for the Car's just to clarify incase someone hasn't heard of that company before lol
    myownhappiness

Comment by myownhappiness (original poster) at 12:25 AM on May. 16, 2011

• We have had HMO's with previous houses we have owned and never had a problem. We have a PPO now and have never heard anything about needing to stay that way. Actually, no one involved with anything having to do with our home even knows about what type of medical insurance we have.

I'm thinking she is fibbing just a bit here.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 12:31 AM on May. 16, 2011

• So she'll be on the same insurance she has through work...that would be Cobra...still doesn't make any sense...I think she's just full of it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:41 AM on May. 16, 2011

• Sounds like you caught her in a lie, and she didn't appreciate being called out on it.

Maybe she's afraid of not having health insurance then having the hospital/doctor suing her to get their money and taking her assets (like her house)?
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 1:56 AM on May. 16, 2011