Does it Bother you when your present company texts while you're out?

My friend talked to her BF on the phone until we got to the restaraunt, and then texted him the whole time we were there. She hardly talked. Then she took a 20 minute phone call and didn't excuse herself- let her coworker vent to her and didn't even say "I need to call you back cuz I'm out with a friend".

I didn't even TOUCH my cell while we were out. I put it on silent. There's nothing on there that can't wait. Is it rude or acceptable to text when you're out with company? What about phone calls?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:49 AM on May. 16, 2011 in Relationships

• it's rude, but you can respond by picking up your phone and calling her from across the table, and start a conversation that way, they get the point..
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:41 AM on May. 16, 2011

• That would annoy the heck outa me.
    Augusta

Answer by Augusta at 12:52 AM on May. 16, 2011

• Ya that bothers me. We had a friend fly in from 3 states away and he was on his phone the whole weekend. What was the point of him coming to visit if he was going to be on the damn phone the whole time? He had just broken up with his gf, and on our comp was the history of him checking her blog. Maybe he was texting her or about her to someone I don't know. We went to dinner, paid for him and all and he was texting the whole time. Drives me nuts.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 1:47 AM on May. 16, 2011

• I always turn my cell phone off when out with a friend. They deserve my undivided attention
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 1:01 AM on May. 16, 2011

• Yes it would! I had a friend who use to do that to me a lot, and I don't see how you can be so rude like that. I hated it! She also use to text people while we were talking on the phone without warning, and it sounded like she was crinkling a plastic bag loudly over the phone when she hit the buttons. Super annoying. She was kind of a selfish person, and we drifted apart.
    Keva1990

Answer by Keva1990 at 1:01 AM on May. 16, 2011

• i don't associate with people like that
    sophistcatdfury

Answer by sophistcatdfury at 1:14 AM on May. 16, 2011

• Rude indeed.
    SMITxsM2

Answer by SMITxsM2 at 1:16 AM on May. 16, 2011

• That is very rude! Honestly, I would have asked them to make mine to go and ask for the check and tell her to enjoy her conversation.
    mommythree0508

Answer by mommythree0508 at 1:36 AM on May. 16, 2011

• A short call or couple texts wouldn't bug me, but what your friend did was really inconsiderate.
    Ashes0813

Answer by Ashes0813 at 2:11 AM on May. 16, 2011

• What you describe would bother me. My SO is a truck driver, and if I'm out with a friend, my kids are with a sitter or my parents, so my phone would be on and I would check the caller ID if I got a call. But I would tell my SO before I go out that I'm going to be out with a friend, and my parents/sitter would also know so any of them that called would only call in an emergency. So I would take their calls, but anyone else I'd let go to voicemail. Texts...well, I can't think of an emergency where anyone would text me, but basically, I guess I'd glance at the screen, but I wouldn't likely respond, and even if I did respond, it would be a one time thing, not constantly throughout the time spent with my friend.

I cannot imagine being as rude as your friend. I would have done something like calling her from across the table like someone suggested.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:00 AM on May. 16, 2011