If I gave birth at 34 weeks

How long would my baby stay in the hospital? Right now she weighs around 4 lbs(inside me still)

Augusta

Asked by Augusta at 2:15 AM on May. 16, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Naturally, a spontaneous birth?
    Probably not too long if she was Ready.

Are you having complications?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:19 AM on May. 16, 2011

• I have a heart shaped uterus. So I dont get to carry all the way. She can come anyday
    Augusta

Comment by Augusta (original poster) at 2:20 AM on May. 16, 2011

• I thought the rule of thumb was to plan on one week in the hospital for every week early.
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 2:22 AM on May. 16, 2011

• that i know of she has to weigh 5lbs 5oz in order for her to be able to be released but again it depends in the state
    roxy0522

Answer by roxy0522 at 2:22 AM on May. 16, 2011

• Yeah in Cali my daughter was able to come home at 4 lbs 9 ounce
    Augusta

Comment by Augusta (original poster) at 2:26 AM on May. 16, 2011

• my son was born at 34 weeks and he came home when he was 15 days old. typically premie babies learn how to suck around 36 weeks. before they can come home they must be able to maintain their own temperature, feed in a way that mom is able to do at home (bottle or breast) and pass a car seat test, i might be missing something, it's late and it's been a while since i've had answered this kind of question lol but because babies typically start 'sucking' inside the womb around 36 weeks that's when most babies figure it out.
    i hope that helps! good luck with your daughter
    angela.bouchard

Answer by angela.bouchard at 2:43 AM on May. 16, 2011

• Well it all depends on the baby......I had my daughter at 34 weeks and 6 days and she didnt even have to go into the NICU and she came home with me, so you just never know.......I know its rare though. I had another friend at the same time have her daughter at 35 weeks and her daughter was in hospital for about a month. So you wouldnt know until baby is born and they assess her and her lung function etc......
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 2:44 AM on May. 16, 2011

• I don't know. I've been fortunate so far not to have had a premie. Are they inducing because of the bicornuate uterus, or is it just that you'll probably end up going into labor early because of it? I hope your baby is born as healthy as can be for the gestational age and doesn't have to stay in the hospital too long.
    AmourSpork

Answer by AmourSpork at 4:46 AM on May. 16, 2011

• All depends on your baby. Cause I had my baby son 31 weeks he was ther 2.5 weeks until five pds okay. He was born in loma linda hospital in ca so don't worry if your baby drinks the bottle or sucks no problem your baby go home soon. Mine did. Oh my the way CONGRATES
    avonbuyorsell

Answer by avonbuyorsell at 5:20 AM on May. 16, 2011

• Im 34 weeks and I am expected to go early as well, but my little man already weighs a bit over 5lns.
    lizjones

Answer by lizjones at 11:20 AM on May. 16, 2011