Should 20 month old be at the hospital when his sister is born?

I'm having my second child one week from today. I want my 20 month old son to be there and be one of the first to see his little sister. I'm having a c-section and I know that he can't be back when she is born (wouldn't really wouldn't want him to be back during that anyway) but I do want him to be there. The only ones that are gonna be there after the baby is born is my husband, and my mother, father, and sister. His family won't be there because they live so far away. I just see it as important for my son to be one of the first to see the new baby since its a new addition to our little family. My father said that he didn't mind watching him at all while I'm having the c-section but my mother doesn't think that he should be there. She thinks I should have someone watch him. So what are all of your opinions? Would you have your 20 month old be there or find a sitter and just let him meet her when you get home?

tiffanynichols

Asked by tiffanynichols at 3:37 AM on May. 16, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My DD came everyday to see me in the hospital when I had her sister, I think it's very important for the siblings to meet the baby before you bring then home. Plus I couldn't go four days not seeing her lol. She was there with me when I was in labor then my mother took her home with her and brought her back the next morning after I had the baby.
    letlovegrow2524

Answer by letlovegrow2524 at 3:59 AM on May. 16, 2011

• I think your father waching him is an awesome idea, then he could meet his sister after she is born. I think that is a great idea!
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 4:10 AM on May. 16, 2011

• My girl (she'll be 3 on Saturday) was at the hospital when I had her baby sis, we all drove together to the hospital and met DH's parents up there, and they played with her in the waiting room until they came out and said "She's here!!" I had a c-section too. I'll never forget the look on her face when DH went to get her and brought her into the recovery room to meet her sister for the 1st time!! Her eyes got SO big and the smile on her face almost went PAST her ears. :D
    MamaLisa1976

Answer by MamaLisa1976 at 4:17 AM on May. 16, 2011

• I let my friend watch my eldest (2) when I was giving birth and didnt get to see her till a day after i had her lil sis. That would be a great idea for your dad to watch your kiddo i would just pack some extra toys cuz....ya know....hospitals are boring! congrats on ur new edition!!!! :))
    raeyliNlilysmom

Answer by raeyliNlilysmom at 5:43 AM on May. 16, 2011

• If you and DH both want him to be there to meet his sister while she is a newborn, then don't worry about your mom. My kids were present or nearby for the births of their younger sibs, and all of them really bonded with the little ones in the first moments of their lives.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 10:37 AM on May. 16, 2011

• you may be sore, and it could alarm him if you have the iv and stuff in. I would probably wait until I was able to sit up at least to bring him in.
    OliviaLouise29

Answer by OliviaLouise29 at 8:00 PM on May. 16, 2011