How do you discpline your two and a half, three year old?

letlovegrow2524

Asked by letlovegrow2524 at 3:52 AM on May. 16, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My 4 children are all adults now. I have 2 grandchildren, 3 & almost 2. It depends on the situation and on the child. Discipline is something all children need. If spanking works, then spank. If punishing works, then punish. Use the "time out" method first. If she responds positively, then continue. It takes a lot of consistency and time, but it does work. I'm speaking as a retired Teaching Assistant, also. When she throws her food/plate on the floor, take it away and do not give her anything else. If she pokes her sster when she's asleep, put her in a time-out spot. Set a timer one minute for however old she is. Get one with a bell so she can hear it ring. Every time she gets up, you start the timer over until she learns to stay for the full amount. At bedtime, let her scream, but do not give in and taker her out. My oldest screamed for 2 hrs. until he learned no one would pick him up. Consistency is the key!
    rosiemendo

Answer by rosiemendo at 8:57 AM on May. 16, 2011

• Discipline? No. I show her the right way to behave, I gently reprimand her when she's unreasonable, but no, not discipline. Raising kids with love instead of control makes for a much happier home, well adjusted kids and happy confident teens.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 4:11 AM on May. 16, 2011

• Time out can work well if done correctly. We had good success with taking away THE most important thing in the world to our kids for an appropriate length of time. They got one warning and then we didi it. Be consistent with what you decide on.

Discipline is not punishment. People tend to use them interchangeably, though. Discipline is guiding a child to follow the rules. "To discipline means to instruct a person to follow a particular code of conduct or order. In the field of child development, discipline refers to methods of modeling character and of teaching self-control and acceptable behavior"  GL

whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 9:20 AM on May. 16, 2011

• (my youngest will be 3 in September, but my eldest is 20, then I also have an 18, 16, 13 and 7 year old as well). All mine, all raised with kindness and all are great kids. Eldest is in Uni
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 4:12 AM on May. 16, 2011

• I don't wish to control her, I wish she would stop screaming and poking her sister while she sleeps, or not throw her plate of food on the floor at every meal or has to always play in it making a huge disgusting mess she won't eat, when I put her too bed stay there and not scream until I get her out. But when i try to help her or get her to do something she doesn't want she storms off to her room like a teenage how do you handle that. Shes a good kid most of the time, just these twos get me someday.
    letlovegrow2524

Comment by letlovegrow2524 (original poster) at 4:25 AM on May. 16, 2011

• I tell my two year old no three times and on the third time I warn her with time out. If she does it again I will sit her in her chair at the table.
    F43L34

Answer by F43L34 at 4:14 PM on May. 17, 2011