HELP!!! My girl is waking up every hour ON the hour for NO reason at all!!! >:{

She doesn't hurt, she's not having bad dreams, she is just waking up every hour for no reason and can't go back to sleep. Since 10pm I must have been in there 12 times. She had no nap yesterday, in fact she's only had 1 nap in the past week because we've been so busy, the opportunity wasn't there for her to do so. She WILL NOT take a nap unless I rock her or drive her around for 2 hours, and an hour of that is just trying to get her to fall asleep. I'm not saying she fights me on naps, I say "OK, naptime" and she's usually cool with it, but it doesn't always happen.
A few months ago I thought she was done with naps. I've always let her lead the way on naptime and she was always consistent since she was a baby. The times would change here & there & the # of naps per day but once she changed it, it was consistent for a few weeks/months until her body needed to change it again. I always let her lead the way and she always got tired & laid down at the same time every day. Then she just stopped getting tired about a year ago. I figured she was done with naps, so I felt it out, and she did pretty well for a few months. Then I noticed her behavior started changing & she'd get really defiant and kind of out of control in the evenings, so I started "Non-negotiable 2:00 naptime" and it has been wonderful. But, she CANNOT go to sleep if I just lay her down anymore. I have to rock her, or happen to have an errand to run that I conveniently run at around 2pm. But then if she falls asleep I have to sit there and wait for her to wake up, and usually her naps are about 2hrs. I don't have the time nor gas money for that.
What do I do?? I'm EXHAUSTED from being up late last night wrapping presents and planning for her 3rd bday coming up this Saturday, and I was REALLY looking forward to going to bed early tonight & getting a good night's rest, but my almost-3 yr old is waking up more often than my 3-MONTH old!! >:\ She had a HUGE day, too, so I have no idea why she's waking like this.

MamaLisa1976

Asked by MamaLisa1976 at 4:08 AM on May. 16, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Oh yeah did I mention if I DO drive her around, if I stop and wait at the store I need to go in, she usually wakes up soon after I stop, so if I want her to sleep I have to drive and drive and yeah - I JUST don't have the gas $ to do that.
    MamaLisa1976

Comment by MamaLisa1976 (original poster) at 4:11 AM on May. 16, 2011

• I have 3.5 yr old son he was they same I usally let him outside or in he get tried then jump in a bath then I let him watch sprout. Tv show and he fall alseep cause I say nap time he will say no "I'm not tried"! So he fall alseep. Its works for me and if she wakes up in middles of the night talk to her and pray with her. Or lay with heruntil fall back to sleep. That's what I do with my sons too..
    avonbuyorsell

Answer by avonbuyorsell at 4:19 AM on May. 16, 2011

• Personally I would cut out the naps now if she is having trouble during the night. It is a tough transition for a few days when they give up their naps but you could have a quiet time right after lunch or something like that. And then have a planned activitiy with you at home (even if it is just coloring together, blowing bubbles, etc) for the late afternoon to keep her busy before supper and bedtime. GL
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 9:12 AM on May. 16, 2011

• kinda sounds like insombia call your ped it might just b a stage shes going through..just lke white said she may just not needs naps anymore through the day..gl
    rachel216

Answer by rachel216 at 9:23 AM on May. 16, 2011

• That's the thing though. She hasn't had but 1 nap in the last week, and it wasn't yesterday. She was busy playing ALL DAY. She should be EXHAUSTED. I can tell she needs one because if she doesn't have one, by 4pm she's ready for bed and she starts acting up & getting nasty (defiant, snotty, mean to her baby sis). If I give her a nap at 4 it's too late and she'll be up til midnight. So I try to give it to her at 2, when I know she's getting tired (yawning, getting "that look" in her eyes...) but she might not necessarily feel like it cuz she wants to play, lol. If I rock her it works, but she just won't go by herself anymore. She's too much like me... I HATED taking naps as long as I remember.
    MamaLisa1976

Comment by MamaLisa1976 (original poster) at 9:49 AM on May. 16, 2011