How do I get my 3yr old to stop pulling back foreskin?

My son is 3yrs old and every morning even through the day he pulls his foreskin all the way back till it turns purple.He breaks a sweat while he is doing it.Is this normal because I cant seem to get him to stop.He dont stroke his penis its just pulling the foreskin back and seems to enjoy it.Any ideas on why he might be doing this and how to get him to stop.Thank you.

Saphier2

Asked by Saphier2 at 12:14 PM on Dec. 6, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• how do you get him to not hit other children or not to do something else he isn't supposed to?? just tell him no everytime you see him do it!
    Anonymous

• Don't tell him "no" unless you want him to grow up thinking that his penis is a bad thing that should not be touched at all.

I would ask either your husband or a male doctor at his pediatricians office if it can be harmful to the penis itself. I would make sure that I enforce cleaning of the hands after such an activity, and that anything involving his manhood should be done in private.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:30 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• Sorry, I pressed the button too soon.

I also wanted to add that he is at an age where he is discovering himself, and I am sure that some level of "playing" with it is normal.
    CarolynBarnett

• but doing it til it turns purple doesn't sound healthy.. sounds like he could hurt himself.. just tell him no no you;ll hurt youself.. hes not going to be 20 and thinking oh no i can't touch my penis.. LOL
    Anonymous

• IT SEEMS TO ME HE HAS FOUND A PLEASURE SPOT, IF IT WAS HURTING HIM HE PROBABLY WOULDN'T DO IT. LET HIM BE, HE IS EXPLORING.

Answer by older at 1:15 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• I'm with older - he is discovering. If you see him, distract him with something else to do but don't freak. He'll forget eventually.
    Avon_Calling

Answer by Avon_Calling at 1:34 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• ewwww.. get him circumsized
    Anonymous

• Maybe something about it is uncomfortable and he's trying to relieve himself in some way. Maybe ask him if his pee-pee is hurting him. But it could also be his stage of bodily exploration. He found something new, so to speak...lol.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 4:30 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• My adopted son had the same fixation, we circumsized him & he was fine. We no longer are so focused on the penis.
    danielle808

Answer by danielle808 at 4:47 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• I agree with the circumsized idea! eww
    Anonymous