Shape up shoes....For Kids????

Yay or Nay and why or why not?

kitchenwitch78

Asked by kitchenwitch78 at 6:56 AM on May. 16, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Nonono, for the same reason I wouldn't put my child on any plan to build muscle tone/whatever! They're children they don't need "shaping up"!!
    aishanabuaisha

Answer by aishanabuaisha at 6:57 AM on May. 16, 2011

• My friends use them and have said that it helps with posture. Now for kids I have no idea?
    MMXI

Answer by MMXI at 7:08 AM on May. 16, 2011

• Sure! I dont think it is meant for everyday use, but for kids who are active in sports then it would be something I would look into for them.

Answer by gemgem at 7:18 AM on May. 16, 2011

• Apparently they say that Sketchers is marketing to children as young as 4...does that change anyone's point of view?
    kitchenwitch78

Comment by kitchenwitch78 (original poster) at 7:35 AM on May. 16, 2011

• For kids, no way.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 8:25 AM on May. 16, 2011

• Not sure why they are even made for kids....
    sipn_mom

Answer by sipn_mom at 9:34 AM on May. 16, 2011

• yes, a doctor will tell you that muscle tone is important in the childs legs.... it help to keep them from having leg injuries as easily, and also helps with thir posture and back. As some on here seem to want to compare it to a gym work out, that is silly. It simply strengthens the calf.... ( the rest is BS) Noone is harmed by healthy exercise If that is the case, then sports would be "too much" for a 4 yo or older! LOL Sorry but if you use common sense, you would get it!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 9:41 AM on May. 16, 2011

• no. i have them and wear them when i walk, but not for workouts (i have running shoes, cycling shoes, aerobic shoes). But i would not let my growing child wear them at all, because there is no need for it. yes, muscle tone is important, but if your child is active/exercises for at least an hour a day, they don't have to worry about building muscle tone, it's being accomplished. If you're concerned about your childs wieght, cardio or strength...go outside and play a sport...but don't buy into the 'fad' of shoes that will do the trick, it's ridiculous.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 10:36 AM on May. 16, 2011

• No. Some of the Shape-up style shoes (as well as similar shoes of other brands) are being blamed for hip injuries in adults that wear them. There's actually a class-action lawsuit filed already and a host of medical experts weighing in on it - here's one link with some info under the "risks and considerations" http://www.aapsm.org/toningshoes.html

I do wear a shoe within the Sketcher's Shape-up line but not the original rockers. I've been using the less pronounced Tone-ups. I wouldn't, however, let my child wear them. Children's legs and joints are still developing. Added undue stress or misuse on those growing bones, ligaments, and joints could cause longer term issues. I wouldn't let my child wear these shoes for the same reason Little League doesn't let children under a certain age throw curve balls. ;) A child's body shouldn't always be put under the same stressors as an adult.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 12:26 PM on May. 16, 2011

• no, research shows they dont even really work.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:38 PM on May. 16, 2011