I am sooo upset...please help...

DS is 19 month old and he keeps falling when he is walking. Most of the time its head first into the floor ( which is concret or tile ). He started walking at 15 months, so he was a late starter. Before you ask...he is not mentally disabled, he doesnt have an ear infection, and the Pediatrician says its perfectly normal. I seriously doubt the Pedi.

Last night DS took the hardest fall of them all and the whole half of his forehead is a swollen bump. *cries*
It breaks my heart. There is no way that I can catch him since he has such a short distance to fall. I have caught him only a handful of times. I dont know what to do.

I am afraid to get area rugs because I think he will trip all over them.

I want a medical grade toddler helmet for in the house, but how do I get one ? Anyone have any other ideas ?

Please...

~ M

Wish2Be

Asked by Wish2Be at 7:20 AM on May. 16, 2011 in Kids' Health

• i think your pediatrician may be right...he should get better at it.
    Kainalu55

Answer by Kainalu55 at 12:38 AM on May. 17, 2011

• I would get a second opinion from a doctor. A friend of mine recently went through almost this same scenario. The doc kept telling her the kid was fine. Turned out he was completely deaf in one ear. They did a MRI and determined that some sort of infection had eaten away at the middle ear. He now receives special services. Maybe see if you can get a referral to ENT. Also not to scare you but there are all kinds of brain things that can cause unsteadiness while walking. Ask your pedi for a referral and an MRI. If nothing else it will give you peace of mind.

Forget the walker. That isn't going to help him if there is actually a problem.

If there doesn't turn out to be a problem then I would get a push toy and let him walk with that. Have him checked for muscle tone also.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 9:37 AM on May. 16, 2011

• instead of letting him walk all by himself,why not try putting him in a walker?
    doctormom2011

Answer by doctormom2011 at 7:22 AM on May. 16, 2011

• A walker agree
    avonbuyorsell

Answer by avonbuyorsell at 7:28 AM on May. 16, 2011

• They make helmets for kids that fall. It's in stores..i'll have to remember the name though.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:30 AM on May. 16, 2011

• i would skip the walker like an earlier poster stated..those are no good.
    Kainalu55

Answer by Kainalu55 at 12:37 AM on May. 17, 2011

• Get wall to wall carpet.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:22 AM on May. 16, 2011

• do some physio therapy to make his leg muscles gain some power, than he'll be fine.
    doctormom2011

Answer by doctormom2011 at 7:24 AM on May. 16, 2011

• My son is 23lbs and 35 inches tall...he is entirely too big for a walker. We had to take him out of the walker around 11 months old because he was too big for it.
    Wish2Be

Comment by Wish2Be (original poster) at 7:31 AM on May. 16, 2011

• Was there any medical (orthopaedic) reason that he walked late to begin with? If so, that may the reason for his clumsiness; maybe have him evaluated by an orthopaedic specialist who may recommend physical therapy to strengthen him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:33 AM on May. 16, 2011