Do you allow your 9 year old?

to drink coffee? how about hot tea? and what age did they start drinking it?

what if they start asking for it and want to try it just out of curiosity?

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 7:48 AM on May. 16, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• We tried coffee as an alternative to stimulant medications for my sons adhd initially, but he would shut up all day so now we just use concerta and everything is good. I dont let him have coffee with the concerta because I dont know how he would react to all that.

But if the coffee would have worked, I would have started letting him drink it everyday LOL
    SaturnsMom

Answer by SaturnsMom at 8:08 AM on May. 16, 2011

• No. The only time my kids get tea is when they are sick (more for medicinal purposes); then it's caffeine-free chamomille/ginger/honey tea. There's no reason to let them have coffee or tea (or soda) any other time. Even my 18 year old doesn't drink the stuff.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:51 AM on May. 16, 2011

• NO! No soda either. When they are in High School, fine. But 9 is WAY to young for the empty calories and caffeine... they simply DO NOT need it!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 7:53 AM on May. 16, 2011

• No coffee or hot tea tell you are at least 16 in my house. The are privilegeddrinks for adult. 16 is the earliest I ever let my DD's drink them.

Answer by louise2 at 7:54 AM on May. 16, 2011

• I drank tea or coffe from a young age, with lots of milk obviously, I don't think it's bad, unless you drink loads and loads of it.
    kylie_bob

Answer by kylie_bob at 7:58 AM on May. 16, 2011

• No not at 9, but I do allow hot tea. Coffee we dont do until they are around 16.

Answer by gemgem at 8:17 AM on May. 16, 2011

• Too young,I'd wait till shes out of school or on the weekends only a cup if she really wants it. Caffeine isn't healthy for her.
    letlovegrow2524

Answer by letlovegrow2524 at 7:56 AM on May. 16, 2011

• My dd doesn't get soda, tea, or coffee. She is 8 1/2. I really don't see this changing in a few months. She mostly drinks water as she is allergic to milk. Sometimes she drinks juice. But she is quite happy drinking water. The only exception is at report card time when she gets straight A's. Then she gets to choose the restaurant, her food, and her drink. My kid apparently has high end tastes. Because she usually chooses the Japanese steak house. She orders chicken or shrimp off the hibachi grill and sometimes a sprite.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 7:58 AM on May. 16, 2011

• My mother never let me drink it but i think that where my obsession lies with it. I am a huge coffee drinker. So i have let my kids try it just to get the curiosity out. But they don't drink it or soda on a regular basis i guess i am like most moms on here soda is for a special occasion and even then it's just sprite or this mexican apple soda that my hubby found that we like. It tastes like apple cider with carbonation. They think they are getting soda so i am ok with that.
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 8:01 AM on May. 16, 2011

• my kids are allowed tea but not coffee at all my kids don't get fizz drink unless its a birthday or xmas  and even then its non caffeine stuff

feralkitten

Answer by feralkitten at 8:04 AM on May. 16, 2011