How can I get my kids on a normal sleep schedule??

They just went to bed! Well my two year old did my 8 month old is still up playing with toys. I can't keep doing this every night I don't know how it got this bad....oh yeah I'm on the East Coast so it's 8am!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:59 AM on May. 16, 2011 in General Parenting

• Aw.. that sucks. Well when they go to bed don't let them sleep all day. Get them up at lunch time. They should make it through the rest of the day. At least the 2 year old. Try to put them on a routine for bed. Taking a nice warm bath, brushing teeth. Turn off the tv, turn the lights down low through out the house. No toys. You are mom, you make the rules. Oh the next day get them up earlier. I think this will take some time but you can do it.
    Autumn07

Answer by Autumn07 at 8:22 AM on May. 16, 2011

• So, they were awake all night and how long do they normally sleep now? You have some hard work ahead if you want to change this. I wouldn't let them sleep past noon and then keep the two year old up until 8 PM or so. No naps anymore for him/her. The 8 month old should be on a two nap routine, I would think. So he/she could have one nap between 12 and 8 or if he/she does stay up for hours maybe he/she can make it to 8. Then have a consistent bedtime routine that is done everytime.

If you can get them to a reasonable bedtime and they start sleeping 10-12 hours a night the next thing is to get the 8 month old on a reasonable nap schedule. Either two naps a day when he/she shows signs of being tired or one nap. GL
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 8:27 AM on May. 16, 2011

• Wake them all up at whatever time you want them to consistently wake. Then, keep them busy all day. Then, when you prefer them to go to bed, make them all lay down in beds 30 minutes prior to that and enforce the stay there and do NOT get up or disturb others rule. Make this happen every day and night. It WILL work out.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:27 AM on May. 16, 2011

• Be consistent. Mine all go to bed at 7 p.m. There rooms are dark - so it is pretty boring for them to stay awake. Lights stay off and if they get up, they are put back in bed.

Depending on your children's personalities, it may take a while - maybe months. But figure out a schedule and put them to bed. You may even have to "camp out" in their room or in the hallway if they keep getting up. It was SO exhausting with my firstborn. The routine took MONTHS. It was so hard, but well worth it when it was over. For the most part they all four (ages 5, 4, 2, and 1 year) go to bed at 7 p.m. and sleep until 6:30 ish in the morning. There are always exceptions, and sometimes we still have to take the younger ones back to bed. But overall, it is pretty easy now.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 8:33 AM on May. 16, 2011

• we set an alarm clock to go off at 7:30pm so the kids have half hour to get ready for bed and into bed by 8. limit daytime naps and try to keep them up if they take a nap that turns into more than a nap. we moved from the USA to Germany and back (military) trust me.. check with the military families on this one.. they have TONS of tips.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 9:08 AM on May. 16, 2011

• I must be confused - they just went to bed and it is eight in the morning?

Lock the toys up at night - they don't need that type of stimulation late into the night. They need to learn to comfort themselves to go to sleep without playing.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 2:19 PM on May. 16, 2011