Whose plan is it?

I know a person who decided they wanted a new sign for their church. (not a leader - just a member - a well off member). Got bids, presented a check to the church for the amount (5 digits) but then city counsel voted the sign down. She went on the rampage and spent months in city hall researching EVERY sign ever put up in town - making note of permits, sizes etc. And put it all back in city counsels face - they still haven't voted in her favor. The church said 'forget it we have a sign already, we don't have to have the other one" - but she yelled NO - this is God's plan for us to have this sign and we're gonna have it if I have to fight city counsel for the next 5 years.

I was not under the impression that this is how God works. If something is in His will - then He moves the immovable, makes the insuperable challenge look as easy as the blink of an eye. Minds change and things happen that wouldn't normally happen. And while I believe that sometimes He wants us to fight the battle, I have to wonder if this is HER plan or God's plan. This 'plan' has caused a huge riff in the community, pitted neighbor against neighbor and she's put herself center stage, pounding her fist and proclaiming GOD'S PLAN.

None of this sounds like anything I've ever seen in relation to how God works. They've even had people leave the church citing they didn't want to be any part of her  trying to make the church (and city) do things her way.

I say if the church votes to drop it - why not drop it? Why does one person try to prove how big they are by causing strife between neighbors and church members? That just doesn't sound very God-like to me. 

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:59 AM on May. 16, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Some people are just crazy....
    letlovegrow2524

Answer by letlovegrow2524 at 8:07 AM on May. 16, 2011

• It's all about recognition in church and the community...sounds to me like she forgot who's side she is supposed to be on.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 8:12 AM on May. 16, 2011

• She needs to feel important and necessary. Why, idk.. perhaps someone close to her needs to have a friendly heart2heart with her. On the business side, if the church "dropped" the idea, who is she fighting?
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:14 AM on May. 16, 2011

• I think God has bigger things to worry about than a sign, but that is just me. This lady seems to have her own agenda and I don't believe it has anything to do with God. Unfortunately these are the actions that often drive people away from church. That money could be better spent in the community instead of alienating it.
    sipn_mom

Answer by sipn_mom at 8:21 AM on May. 16, 2011

• I think it's a good sign (no pun) that you recognize that this is not the church acting contentiously, but one member. I hope other members of the community also don't attribute the genesis of this strife to the church.

I can't say why she doesn't drop it.

I know that God works all things to His glory, but that doesn't mean that all things, in and of themselves, are glorifying to God. God can see the end from the beginning, and has a plan for it all. So, yeah, it is "in God's plan", but a better question would be "is it in God's WILL" - His desire.
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 9:12 AM on May. 16, 2011

• She needs to feel important and "chosen" by her god. I feel bad for her...she must be very insecure.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 10:05 AM on May. 16, 2011

• Maybe it's jsut how she is with everything?
    Is she normally pushy and determined like that?

I do think that if the church wants her to drop it- that she should go with that
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:31 AM on May. 16, 2011

• i feel this her plan,she to want to do this for selfish reason,it seems she want to show off her riches using god as the reason she's doing it.this is just my opion
    MADUKES402

Answer by MADUKES402 at 11:11 AM on May. 16, 2011

• Sometime the enemy brings opposition to God's plan (the book of Nehemiah).

However, this does not seem like that. This seems like she had an idea that she fell in love with that became more important to her than people. Whenever there is division and strife, the Lord is made to look bad. That is a HUGE "Do Not Enter" sign for the community.

"But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, willing to yield, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality and without hypocrisy." James 3:17
    beelive

Answer by beelive at 11:20 AM on May. 16, 2011

• She needs a few less bats in her belfry and a HUGE lesson in humility.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 11:35 AM on May. 16, 2011