Christians: Do you think it is a good thing to encourage people to go to church based on things (like people, music, or activities) as long as you get them there?

I have a friend who is about to become our room-mate. He said that when he starts living with us he might try to go to church since we go every week. But he said he doesnt want to go for the principles or for God, he wants to go to meet people.

Should I encourage him to go based only on that or should I talk to him about God and Jesus and risk scaring him away from church altogether?

amber710

Asked by amber710 at 8:07 AM on May. 16, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• do not force religion on him!!!!
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 8:09 AM on May. 16, 2011

• I'm not a Christian, but I would say if he wants to go, then encourage him to go....it doesn't matter why he goes...it may be right where he is supposed to be and if you hinder that, then whose to say you aren't hindering his path to find what he believes in or is supposed to believe in. See how church goes before you start "preaching/teaching" to him.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 8:10 AM on May. 16, 2011

• momofone....you dont get the question at all. Im not "forcing religion on him". He asked me about it and I am wondering what I should say and what my role as a friend is in the situation: just support or should I explain my beliefs?
    amber710

Comment by amber710 (original poster) at 8:12 AM on May. 16, 2011

• Well is not the reglion its the relationship the lord u planet the seed and the lord do the rest. Just pray for your roomate
    avonbuyorsell

Answer by avonbuyorsell at 8:13 AM on May. 16, 2011

• Just let him go and make his own decision. He may be saying thats why he wants to go but maybe God is calling him to the church through you. Just leave it be and when he moves in just ask him if he still wants to go.

Answer by gemgem at 8:35 AM on May. 16, 2011

• If your roommate wants to go, I say encourage it. They may not have the right "reason" at the moment, but perhaps you'll find that being part of the congregation will bring them to God. As long as they're not there to mock you or cause trouble, even if they don't really join the church, exposure to other ways of life and beliefs are always good.

And, I'm atheist, heh.
    bishopblack

Answer by bishopblack at 8:43 AM on May. 16, 2011

• I agree with most of the others - if he is interested in going, encourage him.

We can all agree encouraging is different than pushing. Encouraging would be reminding him when he has said he wants to go with you to a specific service/activity what time you are leaving, or that it's the next day, or asking if he wants to get lunch after. Pushing would be reminding him, repeatedly, of a service that he never specifically expressed interest in.

It's possible he was just being polite, in a new roommate situation. It's possible he really is interested in seeing what's going on at church, but just wanted to make sure no one switched to "high pressure sales". It could be exactly what he said - he wants to meet new people. As long as he's not going specifically to be disruptive and rude, I say more power to him - and you!
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 9:02 AM on May. 16, 2011

• Don't try to persuade him.   Let go on his own terms.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 9:12 AM on May. 16, 2011

• That should be "let him go".

beeky

Answer by beeky at 9:13 AM on May. 16, 2011

• why question a person's reasons for attending a religious service? you don't know what will happen, or won't. there's no harm in going for a social aspect, or interaction..he just might get what he needs, when he needs it.
    good grief..just be happy he wants to attend!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:43 AM on May. 16, 2011