Is it just me??

It seems the older I get the more impatient I am with people in general. I feel like I am getting more bitter and angry at everyone outside my family. The sheer rudeness of some people. Okay, like this weekend. DH and I took our 22 month old daughter to the mall, and inside this mall it has a big play area for kids. Which is really nice. I like for her to blow off some energy so shopping is so much easier. We walk into a crowded play area, and begin to take off her shoes and her socks, (if we didn't take off her socks she would have sat down and taken them off herself; she hates them). Anyway, there was this nosey mother there sitting next to where we were standing and watching us. She says under her breath, but loud enough so we could hear: "They have a policy against bare feet here." First off, what it is her business? I mean is she the sock police? Second, if she really had a problem, shouldn't she say it to my face instead of acting like a four year old snotty nosed brat? That so drives me insane. I just want to lash out at these people. If it wasn't for DH holding my hand and giving me the look, "Don't go there," I would have said something mean, loud, and just in the air to no one particular. My favorite comeback is "Don't you just love people who give their two cents worth when it isn't worth a quarter of it?" Anyway, more than half of these kids don't have socks on, and furthermore, the lacker that is painted on the blocks and other jungle gym statues, (for lack of a better term), are so slippery that if she had her socks on she would be slipping and sliding off them.

I look at my daughter and her love of people and the world around her is what I USED to have. Sometimes I envy it. Is anyone out there feeling the same way? Have any tips on how to reverse it?

simplysavvy

Asked by simplysavvy at 8:23 AM on May. 16, 2011 in General Parenting

• There are rules. There was a nasty fight between parents at McDonald's over this and the Manager and police had to come. Teach your dd to follow the rules now so you don't have problems when she's older
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:26 AM on May. 16, 2011

• I admire your strength because DH or no DH I would have gone off on that woman. There is a play area at our local mall as well and almost every kid has their shoes and socks off - which parents figured out was better when the kids kept slipping off the toys and stepping on each other's fingers. Regardless I'd rather all the children play barefoot in an indoor play area considering what could possibly be all over children's shoes and could be getting those things on the toys that the kids then crawl all over. Even at the indoor play areas at the McDonald's and other places you HAVE to take off your shoes so kids don't accidentally step on other kids fingers or kick them in the face with their shoes. All I can think of is to ignore the rude people you encounter; its not always easy but just consider how your DD would feel if she had to leave because of a confrontation you had with another parent - that usually works for me.
    anon1986East

Answer by anon1986East at 8:39 AM on May. 16, 2011

• The sock rule is there to avoid kids losing a toe. Just an FYI that that HAS happened before in these play areas.
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 8:41 AM on May. 16, 2011

• The sock rule is because those pits are nasty. I used to own a pest control company and one account included 2 McDonalds with play pits. You wouldnt believe what is at the bottom of some of them. I am talking rat droppings, cock roaches, and old food. McDonalds doesnt clean them either FYI! Neither did we. In the future you should keep that in mind when you decide to put her in a ball pit anywhere.
    As for dealing with people like that. I dont. I have not had a reason to or I just tone them out.

Answer by gemgem at 8:49 AM on May. 16, 2011

• I completely get it where food is served. There are health standards. Where this play is, there is no food area and the food court is all the way on the other side of the mall. What I like about this mall is that every 2 hours the custodians come and disinfect it. Which is great, so I have minimal worries about germs. There is also a station for sanitizing your hands or feet. And no one leaves the area in barefeet or without shoes on. I like what you said anon1986East, "There is a play area at our local mall as well and almost every kid has their shoes and socks off - which parents figured out was better when the kids kept slipping off the toys and stepping on each other's fingers." Thank you for your support.
    simplysavvy

Comment by simplysavvy (original poster) at 8:51 AM on May. 16, 2011

• Wow gemgem! When my oldest son was little the play areas had the ball pits in them. I used to let my son play in them, then 19 years ago, until I saw a news report that said in a local play area they were finding poopy diapers at the bottom of them and the balls were never cleaned. I never let my kids play in them since.
    simplysavvy

Comment by simplysavvy (original poster) at 8:57 AM on May. 16, 2011

• Sorry to say but the ladies "in the air" comment could have been made to the fact as you pointed out that many children had no socks on. And the fact that you were willing to make an "in the air" comment but was only stopped by DH put you at the level you are assuming this lady to be.

Yes our feathers get ruffled sometimes and we need to take a breath. I agree that we need to teach our children to follow the rules, even if we disagree with them. Which in this case would mean staying on top of thing and repeatedly putting the socks back on.
    sipn_mom

Answer by sipn_mom at 8:58 AM on May. 16, 2011

• I am with you, the older I get, the less patience I have for the public! I do not know why some people feel it is their place to tell others how to manage their children. I had a "run in" with a woman in the grocery store a couple of months ago that still irritates me. My 2 1/2 yr old ds will not ride in a stroller or buggy, was walking this day. He spotted a cardboard display of soaps and went for it. I grabbed him just in time, and had a woman standing near lay into me how I was going to pull his arm out if I didn't stop jerking him. Any moron could see it was him pulling, not me. I did get very hateful, telling her he was my child and I know what I am doing. I finally had to walk off, she just would not stop. People like that need to mind their own business or focus on parents really hurting their kids! People are just so ignorant!! I guess it is best to just ignore the morons!!
    AngieBry

Answer by AngieBry at 9:09 AM on May. 16, 2011

• I hear you, who cares if our daughter wasn't wearing socks. I can't stand busy bodies either. I am non confrontational so I just keep my mouth shut. People like that aren't worth your anger. 

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 9:15 AM on May. 16, 2011

• They have a policy against bare feet for a reason - a health reason. If kid isn't following the rules why should anyone else have to. Your child not following the rules puts other children at risk to contract a fungus or other conditions... others don't know your hygiene routine & you don't know theirs. Follow the rules, they are there for a reason!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 9:46 AM on May. 16, 2011