cripser clearer television w/digital converter box?

Okay, this is crap! Yeah, it is crisper and clearer IF the signal is working! Anyone else seem to be experiencing problems with the digital converter boxes? Or, is it the digital signal itself?

PROGENITOR

Asked by PROGENITOR at 12:36 PM on Dec. 6, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Well I thought it wasn't going to switch over till FEB. Maybe when that happens it will be better for you.
    Anonymous

• You mean how the picture goes all pixilated and sometimes freezes up? Or how the sound gets meesed up right at the climax of the story and you miss the best part of your show? I totally understand where you are coming from. I think this was the invention of some MAN who loves his electronic toys.
    mom2alan

Answer by mom2alan at 12:41 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• The digital transition takes place 2/19/2009...unless you're in a city that has already switched over. That's Wilmington and I believe Boston so far.

The box won't necessarily mean a crisper picture if your TV can't produce a better picture.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:43 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• All the major stations already broadcast on digital, and we can get all our original channels, plus a few more. I am hoping that is has something to do with the analog signal still being put out. Yes, mom2alan, all of that! One morning Sesame Street will be on and the next morning it is too pixilated to see anything! It sucks! When the signal is good it comes in great, so I don't think it is my TV, gdiamante.
    PROGENITOR

Answer by PROGENITOR at 12:48 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• We have some digital channels and I can't tell the difference. I guess I am not so into my television viewing that it makes such a difference to me. My hubby thinks it's better tho.
    Anonymous

• when we are having problems with a particular station the menu on the converter box will say that it is a bad signal or no signal.
    PROGENITOR

Answer by PROGENITOR at 12:49 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• Many stations already transmit in digital. I'm hoping that they boost the signal come Feb., though, because we have issues with it. I live in an apartment, though, which is part of the problem. My parents just got their converter box and aren't having any problems at all with their signal. I'm jealous. ;-)
    degsyuna

Answer by degsyuna at 1:18 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• Oh and I should mention, we live pretty close to my parents, so we're getting the same signals. Mine is just more obstructed. lol
    degsyuna

Answer by degsyuna at 1:19 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• To answer your question: Yes, it is a more clear picture. We have not had any problems, nor has anyone else I have talked to.

It's a change. Get over it. It is going to happen no matter how much you complain about it.
    Anonymous

• I have laughed and laughed about the "pure digital quality" line for nearly 20 years. You are right - it does look nice - when it is working. When there is any interference you get huge pixelation blocks and the picture looks far worse than it ever did with a little bit of "snow". I'm sure early TV broadcasts had issues too, we are just too young to remember them. Hopefully they fix this issue some day too. But like I said, I've known about this issue for 20 years and it's still there.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:21 PM on Dec. 6, 2008