Do your children know the roles of the branches of government?

If they do, how old are they and did they learn it from you or the school?

QuinnMae

Asked by QuinnMae at 9:03 AM on May. 16, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes. They are 9 and almost 10. (3rd-4th grade). They learned it from me AND the curriculum we use. We homeschool and it's apart of our curriculum. They know about the 3 branches, what their functions are, and how laws are passed (or blocked). I took them to the state capital to see how the process works first hand after we learned about it via our curriculum. This was more of an intro, so we will be addressing it further and in more depth as the years go on.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 10:31 AM on May. 16, 2011

• My 17, 19, and 21 yr old do, and my 11 yr old is pretty knowledgeable no thanks to his school. My kids learned about most everything through me, my step dad whose a retired marine, and their dads. My 6 yr old really doesnt know much but shes in Kinder and we havent taught her alot either.

Answer by gemgem at 9:07 AM on May. 16, 2011

• My daughter knows presidents names lol she is only 3 1/2 though so I havent gotten to the whole breaking down the government part. I did have to explain to her how other countries dont run their governments the same was as we do, she knows that england has a king & queen while we have presidents so she is starting to ask questions about it all. She can name the first three presidents so far too.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 9:05 AM on May. 16, 2011

• Yes, he is a history buff, like me.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:11 AM on May. 16, 2011

• Yes, she does. She just learned all about it in school, she is 9.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:23 AM on May. 16, 2011

• DD isn't even preschool yet so we've not gone down that road. DH is a political junkie and former politico himself. He'll be talking about it all with her I'm sure long before she gets too far along.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 9:52 AM on May. 16, 2011

• Not yet but government is a required lesson for kids in our state so I will be teaching her all of them.
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 9:09 AM on May. 16, 2011

• Yes, They learned it in school, not exactly sure which grade it really sunk in at. It's been a while. They are in college now.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:25 AM on May. 16, 2011

• My oldest (12) knows a lot about the government. He has even done some public speaking. He has learned some at school, but most of the teaching comes from me. My 9 yr old is learning.

I must say I agree with adnilm on this topic. I hate the teaching to test.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:32 AM on May. 16, 2011

• Yes-

Mine had to pass a state Constitution test in order to graduate from 8th grade and pass Civics to graduate from HS. My son was on the AP history and government tracks in HS and is currently taking courses to obtain a history minor from his University.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 1:10 PM on May. 16, 2011