Based on personal experiences or from what you have heard...What are the ways to treat epilepsy on children?

Please if you know of any diets, drugs, alternative medicine, therapies that had help. The doctors don't seem to know we exactly what had caused my child's sudden seizures. The only thing they know is his diagnosis which is Grand Mal Seizures. Anything you know about this condition it would be of great help. Thanks a million!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:11 AM on May. 16, 2011 in Kids' Health

• The ketogenic diet is supposed to be effective; though it was controversial when it first came out many years ago because it was high in fat. I don't have personal experience but do recall watching a documentary on this. Good luck.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 9:17 AM on May. 16, 2011

• One more thing ... someone here has been posting lots of info re: magnesium which prompted me to do some research on my own. I read recently of research as far back as 1950 on how magnesium helped reduce/eliminate seizures in epileptic children. You might want to look into that as well. I can find the info (it's in one of the recent medical books I have) if you're interested. Let me know.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 9:21 AM on May. 16, 2011

• i started having grand mal seizures when i became a teenager..doctors could never figure out why. i started doing research and i connected it to the pituitary gland. My cousin also had them when he hit puberty. for me, i believe it couldve been something genetic..in my family. my cousin is fine now.. i continue to take medicine because i am scared to death to have a seizure. I live a normal life. i drive, i work..etc.. the meds i started (around age 13) stopped my seizures, i'm afraid i may have one if i were to ever come off of them. so i take them for security even though my doctor says i could try to come off.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:39 AM on May. 16, 2011

• I have had seizures for 32 years. I had the Vagul Nerve Stimulatar put in, It's kind of like a pacemaker. They told me the longer I had it the more effective it would be. Almost three years after I had it put in, I went almost 18 months without having one. The longest I went before that was 4 months. Like any medications they work on some people and some they don't . Just pm me if you have any questions or need to talk. Good luck!!!
    RelaxedMom2-3

Answer by RelaxedMom2-3 at 11:34 AM on May. 16, 2011

• I have no idea but am hoping you get the answers you need.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 4:01 AM on May. 17, 2011