Reading Question for Homeschoolers

Hi,

I have a 3 yr old who likes to get into mischief and a 6 yr old learning to read. To prevent my 3 yr old from causing problems and to meet the reading goals of my 6 yr old I'd thought I'd include the 3 yr old in our lessons with the focus with one child letter sounds and phonics and the 3 yr old working on recognizing the letters of the alphabet.

To make it easier on myself, I thought I'd follow the phonics program and as I was teaching one child the sounds the other would learn the letter. For example, If dd 6 is learning the short "a" sound, dd 3 would be learning about the letter a.

The would also mean that we would Not be learning the letters in alphabetical order. Is that important and should I worry? Has anyone else tried this? How did it work? Was it ok? Is it ok to teach the alphabet out of order and has anyone done this?

I'd love to hear any thoughts :-)

Thanx

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:26 AM on May. 16, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Have you tried Starfall.com? It's great. My dd taught herself all of the letters and sounds from it at age 3 and not at 6 they use it in her classroom. (It's free.)
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 9:29 AM on May. 16, 2011

• my youngest is three right now. someone had given my middle girl a 'barbie' computer. it teaches them the different letter sounds and numbers. it also helps with spelling. they were also given that leappads. those help with letters and sounds too. i hope this helps. and as for learning them out of order, don't worry about it. you can sing the abc song to help get them back in order.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 9:33 AM on May. 16, 2011

• Starfall is awesome and you can use it for both of your children at different times. You might also try to set up some fun centers-type activies for your 3 year old while working with your 6 year old. Centers were always a huge hit in our classroom (c:
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:00 AM on May. 16, 2011