Did you watch the launch of shuttle Endeavor?

I watched it this morning from my front yard. It was with a little sadness, to see the end of an era. I have seen many launches both day and night, in my many years of living in Florida. The tragic Challenger disaster made quite an impression on me, and ever since when I watch a launch it is with a little trepidation.

What do you think about the end of the shuttle program? Here where I live, NASA is a large employer and this will mean a loss of employment for many, as well as a reduction in tourism for Florida.

Do you think we need to continue to explore space with reusable spacecraft? Will you miss the shuttle program?

dwmom2008

Asked by dwmom2008 at 9:32 AM on May. 16, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• no..i was taking my ds to school..missed the entire thing!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:10 AM on May. 16, 2011

• Yes, it was awesome! and yes I will miss it!

Answer by older at 9:34 AM on May. 16, 2011

• NO... the last time I watched it live it exploded in front of my eyes... I was a Sr in high school, sitting in the Library. Ever since then I wait to see it on the news. I'll never forget that empty hollow feeling or those poor people on board that day.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 9:35 AM on May. 16, 2011

• It was heartbreaking wasn't it! I don't think the space program will end with the shuttles though... I think they are just going in another direction. I hope any ways ;o)

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 9:55 AM on May. 16, 2011

• Of Course! I find it exciting and wondrous every time. Now there is sadness mixed in knowing what has been done
    to NASA and the people and their families involved.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:15 AM on May. 16, 2011

• No. I was shivering in the school parking lot waiting for the bus to leave. My oldest will be gone to the coast..Outdoor School for a week.

I think NASA is the only successful thing the government has ever created. We should be funding it MORE not less.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:25 AM on May. 16, 2011

• Nope. I didn't realize that it was this morning. Watching things like that always takes my breath away and makes me remember the disasters that NASA has been challenged with. We used to live just outside of Houston and would go to NASA Space Center at least once a year. There will be many unemployed there as well. It's sad on a few different levels.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:38 AM on May. 16, 2011

• I was a junior in HS when the Challenger disaster hapened, yeah, it was so sad! We were watching it live too.
    dwmom2008

Comment by dwmom2008 (original poster) at 9:38 AM on May. 16, 2011

• I agree with you yourspecialkid, NASA and the Smithsonian museums in Washington, DC, and the National Parks of course. Athough, the Smithsonian was actually created by a guy from another country, England maybe, who left an endowment in his will. Weird, eh?
    dwmom2008

Comment by dwmom2008 (original poster) at 10:29 AM on May. 16, 2011

• I didn't see the launch, but I read about it. Gabby Giffords was there!

One of my BIL's works for NASA and he will be out of a job as of July. :-(

Dwmom, do you live on the Space Coast?
    tinamatt

Answer by tinamatt at 12:17 PM on May. 16, 2011